• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
bitchass 205

Rear Beam

bitchass 205

Hello All

I had my car mot'd last week. Luckily for me they passed my knackered rear beam. Forseeing this i purchased one off ebay but didn't go and look at it. Upon further inspection the brake compensators look seized. How can i unseize them and will they work as normal?

or

If they are shot where can i get replacements and how much am i looking at?

Any help would be apperiacaited.

pug_ham

Exactly how do they look seized?

A pair of compensators for a 1.9 GTi or a single one for the 1.6 can be bought from GSF.

T65382 BRAKE PRESSURE REGULATOR 205 1.6 GTi, 205 CABRIOLET 31.50

T65383 BRAKE PRESSURE REGULATOR 205 1.9GTi 31.50

Graham.

bitchass 205
Exactly how do they look seized?

A pair of compensators for a 1.9 GTi or a single one for the 1.6 can be bought from GSF.

T65382 BRAKE PRESSURE REGULATOR 205 1.6 GTi, 205 CABRIOLET 31.50

T65383 BRAKE PRESSURE REGULATOR 205 1.9GTi 31.50

Graham.

Thanks for the info!

Well they're all rusted up and don't move freely. I'm assuming they're supposed to, but whether i can move them or the force of the bumps from the road moves them i'm not really sure :):)

EDIT:

I looked at GSF website, typed in the number above for 1.9 and it gave me a part for the 306 are they the same then? and this price is for a pair?

Edited by bitchass 205

jackherer

does your 205 have ABS?

if not then the compensators dont move as they aren't load dependant, if you do have ABS then I think they can seize.

bitchass 205
does your 205 have ABS?

if not then the compensators dont move as they aren't load dependant, if you do have ABS then I think they can seize.

Well mine is F reg 1.6 so it is neither discs or abs. The rear beam is one which came off a late 1.6 model which had abs.

jackherer

the 1.6 beam should have discs and will also have some load dependant compensators then?

On a friends 1.6 205 that we fitted with the same beam you have we removed the abs compensators and used the original 1.6 one which is under the bonnet by the battery, I'd suggest you do the same as the abs compensators seem very vulnerable and the original comepensator seems to work fine with rear discs.

bitchass 205

dont suppose you would tell me how you did it, i'm not very mechanically minded but will need to explain to the mechanic why i want to do this and what this best way to do it, so he dosen't re-invent the wheel so to speak.

Also is the 1.6 compensator illustrated in the haynes manual? Would you be able to get an idiots guide type picture?

Cheers

jackherer

the 1.6 compensator is def shown in the haynes, its a cylinder near the battery.

basically you need to get rid of the compensators on the beam and run pipes/hoses directly to the calipers.

bitchass 205

OK, I'm assuming the pipes/hoes run from the compensator in the engine bay directly to the calipers?

jackherer

yes sort of, a standard 1.6 GTI has three pipes coming off the master cylinder, one for each front brake direct to the calipers and one that runs to the rear compensator under the bonnet. A single pipe then runs from the compensator under the car to the rear beam where it is T'd to each drum.

bitchass 205

oh ok, so the pipes are already there, i just have to connect them up?

So do the normal 1.9 rear beams have brake compensators if they don't have abs?

jackherer

the pipe to the rear will be there already, but I think you'll need to get new flexi hoses to the calipers.

non-abs 1.9s have two seperate pipes to the rear and a compensator in line with each pipe by the fuel tank, these work differently to the 1.6 compensator AND the abs compensators :rolleyes:

pug_ham

Looking at a rusty body for the compensator doesn't mean its seized, all the workings are inside & if it has passed the MOT last week I'd say there is nothing wrong or it would've failed. Did the tester make any advisories about you brakes?

To plumb a disc rear beam into your car as it should be now you need new rigid pipes for the rear beam from the flexis that wrap around the rear beam from the body rigid pipes & the flexis from them to the caliper.

The number's I posted above were copied directly from the GSF website last night so I assume the same compensator is also used on the 306. The price for the 1.9 compensators is each & you need two. You only need one (the T65382) for a 1.6. Fitting a new compensator will most likely mean you need to get some new brake pipes (I doubt the unions will come undone without damaging the pipes) & if you swap to the four pipe set up of the 1.9 then you will pipes & a new master cylinder.

Like jackherer says the late ABS beam from a 1.6 should have discs.

Graham.

jackherer

Graham, the ABS beam will have load dependant compensators which I think is what bitchass 205 means.

you can see if they're seized or not straight away unlike both types of non-abs ones.

bitchass 205
Graham, the ABS beam will have load dependant compensators which I think is what bitchass 205 means.

you can see if they're seized or not straight away unlike both types of non-abs ones.

thats what they look like, although add a bit of brown for rust!!.

I was expecting to need to flexis.

The rear beam is not on yet, i kept the current one on because i had to renew the entire rear braking system for last mot, was buggered if i was going to do it again!!

Sign in to follow this