• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest CJG122

Leak On Drivers Side

Guest CJG122

I have recently stripped the GTI to sow up a few holes in the carpet and get a look at the condition of what is below. The noise deadning mats were damp on drivers side and basically had started to rot the top of the gearbox and a few screws holding the hand brake had also rusted away. So I have sanded the rust off. Got new sound deadning mats. But no matter how hard I look I cannot seem to find where the leak is comming from and stop it.

Could it possibly come from above the connector for the door light ;) ?

steve@cornwall
I have recently stripped the GTI to sow up a few holes in the carpet and get a look at the condition of what is below. The noise deadning mats were damp on drivers side and basically had started to rot the top of the gearbox and a few screws holding the hand brake had also rusted away. So I have sanded the rust off. Got new sound deadning mats. But no matter how hard I look I cannot seem to find where the leak is comming from and stop it.

Could it possibly come from above the connector for the door light ;) ?

205s seem to have a nasty habit of rusting under the windscreen seals- mainly seems to start just inboard of the front wing corner- do you have the tell-tale bubbling here? I think all of mine have been wet under the carpet, but don't often show it on the carpet itself.

jim21070

Sunroof?

The washers that prevent leakage around the handle mounting bolts perish and leak.

The source of the leak can often be a long way from the place it ends up. Run it for a few weeks with the carpets out and all will be eventually revealed.

Simes

Rear passenger window rubbers shrunk.

Guest CJG122
Sunroof?

The washers that prevent leakage around the handle mounting bolts perish and leak.

The source of the leak can often be a long way from the place it ends up. Run it for a few weeks with the carpets out and all will be eventually revealed.

Thanks. I used to get water collecting in the sun roof latch. With some rubber washers added - no more water. So I don't think it is the sun roof - I will check again. Can water get in from any other point of the sun roof - appart from where the pull back handle is screwed on?

Guest CJG122
205s seem to have a nasty habit of rusting under the windscreen seals- mainly seems to start just inboard of the front wing corner- do you have the tell-tale bubbling here? I think all of mine have been wet under the carpet, but don't often show it on the carpet itself.

Thanks.

The carpet did not show anything. I had a 3 inch tear in the carpet on the left side of the drivers side of the car. I used to get water collecting in the sun roof latch - every time I pull it down wter would probably fall into the tear in the carpet as is was more or less directly below. I brought the GTI about a year ago from an owner that cared not so much about its general condition -I myself have fallen in love with the car and am trying to put things right. Before water would leak through the sun roof latch and two side doors which were bent outwards a little too much - :) A little bending and new rubber washers and no more water is - visible - coming in. So I took out the carpet to repair the tear and found out that below was not good.

I now have new mats (sound deadning) - At the price I paid for them I am determined not to get them soaked in the first few weeks in there.

I am suspecting that the leak comes from the door or from water that collects in the compartment below the windshield and is supposed to pass through a hole and down the side near the door hinges.

I will check for any rusting but so far have not noticed any on the body of the car - bar what was found under the carpet.

Guest CJG122

Right.

Leak has stopped - I think - door pannel was clipped on entirely which was what I expect was causing the problem.

Hope it rains so that I can get a confirmation. ASAP so that the rest of the car and be put back in.

:)

GLPoomobile

The carpet has a water proof backing, and so any water that leaks into the car getting under the carpet at an edge is not going to show up witha visably damp carpet. But on the plus side it means that you can spill fluid on the carpet and not worry about it leaking through to the sound deadening - like when I spilled a whole bottle of brake fluid in the rear footwell B)

When I pulled up my carpet to make sure the brake fluid had not got underneath, I found the sound deadening was extremely damp. I think that any dampness gets locked in and it stays damp for a looooong time after. I have all the usual problems and need to go on a full-on water proofing exercise before the autumn.

steve@cornwall
The carpet has a water proof backing, and so any water that leaks into the car getting under the carpet at an edge is not going to show up witha visably damp carpet. But on the plus side it means that you can spill fluid on the carpet and not worry about it leaking through to the sound deadening - like when I spilled a whole bottle of brake fluid in the rear footwell B)

When I pulled up my carpet to make sure the brake fluid had not got underneath, I found the sound deadening was extremely damp. I think that any dampness gets locked in and it stays damp for a looooong time after. I have all the usual problems and need to go on a full-on water proofing exercise before the autumn.

I guess it could just be condensation then?

kevcomdude

I found that my passenger side was soaked about 6 months ago, the source of the problem was a small rubber plug that had somehow unplugged from the floor of the car under the carpet and sound deadning.

It was so small but managed to get through to the carpet and make a little puddle.

Guest CJG122

The door pannel has a plastic cover on the inner side which should help prevent water getting into the car. The hole in the pannel where the electric window wiring comes through can enable water to leak in if ripped too large or not clogged with some paste. If this is the case water sholuld appear in the door pocket. I have repaired the window - which now fully closes - and put the door pannel on correctly - all clips in. I have noticed a small collection of water in the rear passenger foot area. Seems to be leaking from the door as well. I will eventually cover all holes in the body of the door with tape before putting the pannel back on which should stopp all leaking from the door.

I have a few small holes in the floor of the car where the clips to prevent the sounddeadning carpet from moving should be but I never thought that this could be the source of the problem.

There are two much larger holes (one passenger side/one driver side) situated under the foot pedals however that did concern me but my passenger side has no leak and the same hole is there !

Chris

Edited by CJG122

rooster

i have a CTI so this is a normal occurance :(

my passenger side was worse hit and it wasnt the roof seals in my CTI i found the rubber grommits on the loom were up the swanny and water was running down the wires then running under the carpet into the sound proofing

i had to replace the sound proofing and gaffer tape a plstic sheet over it so the water if it returned sat on top and was not soaked up :D as once its in the sound proofing itll never dry out :blink:

Guest CJG122

Found that the rear window rubber joint was falling appart. I suspect the window washers were also letting water in.

I still have not yet found out how water is getting in through the frount left of the car - apparently from where the speaker wires/door light connectors section of the car. I do not think it is a rust related problem.

Any advice would be welcome.

Could water possible leak through the vertical rubber joint by the door ?

christopher

Emm guess....Leaking heater matrix?

huzzer
Emm guess....Leaking heater matrix?

Could be this? If it was though you would notice coolant level dropping in engine and a fishy smell in the car. Ive got the same problem with my rear footwells filling up. I am suspecting rear window rubbers shrunk as there is a tiny patch orf rust coming through just under the top of the carpet where it overlaps the back seat.

pugrallye

you have quite a few to check...

aerial bases leak (water drips through coutesy light)

drain channels down either side of scuttle block up (water trickles down behind dashboard in 2 front corners)

rear window seals leak (water in rear seat well etc..)

leaking testing is hard work best way is the car wash experience, anything high pressure tends to bring up no results..

dee205

A missing rubber grommet in the bulkhead was the culprit when I had a leak. Three foot from the ground but still let it enough water when the roads were soaking.

And I've also fallen victim to the overhead splash from a missing sunoof bolt. I'd usuall get in the car in the morning and at the first corner I'd get a lap full of water!

Damien

Guest CJG122

Thanks for all that.

I have had this problem for some time and the search engine on the forum has helped a lot.

Today the whole car was full of water. Not inside the car! but in the body work - it was splashing around for the first few minutes as though a bucket full of water had leaked into the body.- very interesting.

The Drain holes to clear are as far as I know:

Frount both sides in the wind screen compartment which sends the water down by the frount of the doors and out.

The four drain holes in the sun roof which evacuate all the water to all four wheel Arches.

The Door drain holes are located at both extremities of the lower part of each door (a small hole)

Now taking into account:

- all the above mentioned drainage holes are letting water flow freely

- The car is immobilised - engine not turned on. (not the heater matrix)

Something damn strange is happening.

I have sciliconed windowscreen to the rubber joint (on the inside of the joint) and water still comes in.

I will scilicone the outer part of the windowscreen joint.

I will scilicone the ariel.

I have cracks above both rear windows starting in the corners where the frount door closes and was told that water was not able to get in them but they are become suspects.

If any one has an idea - let me know.

brianthemagical

try talcum powder (or other similar powder, just think of the concequences first i.e not flour), dust it lightly around the car, with carpets out, obviously, then when you look at the car next it should have runs in the talc to identify where the leek is coming from. i'm trying this in my car at the moment, i hope it works. if it doesn't rain quick enough then try hosing the car, should get it wet pretty quick. hope that helps.

Sign in to follow this