• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Enfield

Electrical Gremlins!

Enfield

Hi there.

I own a 205 DTurbo and am have found a few minor faults with it.

Problem number one: O/S brake light.

I've replaced the bulb and cleaned out the contacts but it still doesn't work. I also think this could be related to problem number two...

Problem number two: O/S driving lamp.

This doesn't work either and no matter how much I wiggle things about on the lamp it still won't work. I've had the same problem with my previous 205 (RIP) and got it working, (it had a faulty earth on the lamp due to rust but the current 205 has no rust on the contacts or anything).

Problem number three: Front windscreen washer (not the wipers).

I can't even hear the motor whirring up but I can hear it when I use the rear washer.

And when I bought the car and turned the engine off the immobilizer used to beep at me but now it longer does it!

Any help greatly appreciated!

Edited by Enfield

Guest cknotty

Time to get the multimeter out I think :D You'll have to go through checking the contacts for the lamps and see if there is continuity, and they are getting 12V when they should be. That should help you track down where the problem is. Sorry I can't be more of a help: not much of an electrical person I'm afraid! :(

The rear washer has its own bottle and motor, so that's why you can hear it working. New ones are pretty cheap and easy to fit, but it's likely that the connector plug for the front washer has corroded so you're best off cutting it off and crimping a new set of spade connectors on. Sometimes the front washers on mine decide to stop working, just needs a fiddle with the connectors to get it going again ;)

If the engine still starts when it should, then count yourself lucky! Not sure how they work on a diesel, as it's all mechanical fuelling. I guess it must do something with inhibiting the starter motor perhaps?

Hope this helps,

Chris

Enfield

Thanks for the quick reply mate. :(

I'll get the multimeter out but i'm not sure what i'm supposed to do with it! All I know how to do is check whether the battery is OK.

Where's the washer motor?

Guest cknotty

No worries :(

For the multimeter, you can set it to DC volts, then put the positive terminal on the wire or connector which is positive feed from the battery, the other terminal goes to earth: either the earth wire, non painted bodywork, or the battery negative. Switch the circuit on, then you'll be able to see if volts are getting there at all. For continuity, you set it to continuity mode, then put the terminals in the same places. Depending on your multimeter, it may change reading or buzz if there is a complete circuit.

The washer motor is in the bottom of the washer fluid reservoir, next to the battery. It should just pull out, but the fluid will start coming out of the hole of course! ;)

Chris

Enfield

Well I tested the driving lamps.

The one that isn't working only read 0.1v and the one that did work only reals 10. something volts, (should be 12v?).

What would this indicate?

Enfield

Think I blew a fuse when I tested the lights earlier...because now the other driving lamp does not work.

Where is the fuse for the lamps?

Enfield
Think I blew a fuse when I tested the lights earlier...because now the other driving lamp does not work.

Where is the fuse for the lamps?

Any one please? I desperately need to get the brake light working at least!

pugrallye

stabbing in dark your washer pump is probably not working due to an iffy column stalk, bit of a hard one to test on your own as you would have to hold front washers on whilst reading voltage out of washer pump plug.

If your driving lamps arent working first things to check are the earth points either side of headlamps, as they tend to get road salt trapped in them, if your reading 10v off a lamp its either cos you have left driving lights on too long or you have a dodgy earth!

Oh how old is your 205? as older ones have fuse 3 which is your brake lights and windscreen washers, but... if one works... it wont be fuse related! either dodgy bulb holder or iffy new bulb

Edited by pugrallye

Enfield
stabbing in dark your washer pump is probably not working due to an iffy column stalk, bit of a hard one to test on your own as you would have to hold front washers on whilst reading voltage out of washer pump plug.

If your driving lamps arent working first things to check are the earth points either side of headlamps, as they tend to get road salt trapped in them, if your reading 10v off a lamp its either cos you have left driving lights on too long or you have a dodgy earth!

Oh how old is your 205? as older ones have fuse 3 which is your brake lights and windscreen washers, but... if one works... it wont be fuse related! either dodgy bulb holder or iffy new bulb

I've wiggled those earth blocks around and nothing works. Even bought some contact cleaner and sprayed some of that here and there.

It's an M reg Mardi Gras TD.

Could I bridge the earth from the working to the broken brake light?

pugrallye

no you need to pull the earth blocks off and check terminals

Enfield

I can get 12v from both lamps now but only one works still. :)

If I disconnect the earth from the lamp unit and stick my multimeter on the connections on the cables it reads 12v as it should but as soon as I plug the earth cable onto the lamp the volts drop to nothing. Why is this???#

I've swapped over the lamp units so the one that wasn't working is on the other side and it works fine there, so it's defintely not the bulb or the unit.

Help! ;)

Enfield

bttt

Enfield

I've tried fitting a wire direct from the battery negative to the lamp and it won't work!

Guest cknotty

I'll admit that I don't know a huge amount when it comes to electrical problems, but if you've tried a direct earth, then it could be a duff lamp or there is a problem with the positive feed to the lamp somewhere. I had to replace the wiring up to where it joins the main loom to one of the driving lamps in the 106, as it had all melted! :D

Could try changing the relay for the driving lamps also, just to eliminate the problem there.

Edited by cknotty

mishu

Where exactly are the earth points for the headlamps? I cleaned up my engine bay yesterday and cleaned up the gearbox and suspension plate earths, but those are the only ones I could find. Are there any others I've missed?

Enfield: Can you get the bulb to work at all? Out of the car, directly connected to the battery terminals (with wires from them, of course)?

welshpug

the plugs are yellow 2 pin ones, and are located just behind the headlamp.

I have a similar issue and its causd by corrosion due to them not being sealed connectors, just chop them off and either replace them with nice sealed items or just crimp on spade connectors.

the plugs are yellow 2 pin ones, and are located just behind the headlamp.

I have a similar issue and its causd by corrosion due to them not being sealed connectors, just chop them off and either replace them with nice sealed items or just crimp on spade connectors.

get some fine emery paper to clean up the rear light cluster

Enfield

Going to try the relay thing, need to go get a new battery anyway.

Where is the relay and what does it look like (colour)?

Enfield

I've found two wires behind the nearside cluster that aren't connected to anything:

dsc00041wl6.th.jpg

Where do they go?

Also, where are all the earthing points?

Edited by Enfield

Enfield

Anyone??

Sign in to follow this