• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
newdean0

Alternator Not Charging

newdean0

Since doing my mi conversion my alternator hasn't been charging the battery. The alternator light goes out when the engine is turning. I think I might have connected the wrong terminal on the alternator, does anyone have a picture/diagram of what is supposed to connect where? Also, can the light function correctly if the alternator is knackered and do I need to connect anything other than a ground and the battery to make the alternator start charging?

Cheers

Dean

dee205

You have probably connected the live+ up to the wrong screw terminal and fecked the alternator.

I've done this before. The light in the dash won't come on either if this has been the case.

Damien

newdean0

Bollocks, the light came on brightly when I revved the engine the first time, I thought it was the belt slipping. I've driven over 3 hours though since this happened and I'd have thought the battery would have gone flat way before this.

Guest 205_dave

+ve terminal on the alternator should connect to +ve on the battery. Alternator will earth through the engine. Best way to check if it is charging is to stick a voltmeter across the battery. Should get over 14 Volts across it with the engine running.

Sign in to follow this