• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Shevy

Preparing Engine , Gearbox And Parts For Painting

Shevy

Im in the process of cleaning / degreasing my engine block, gearbox, enginebay and other parts ready for painting. At the moment I am just using gunk to clean the parts and a wire brush. Is there anything better I can use to make the job easier ?

Cheers

Kevin

ALEX

Don't paint it, it's a waste of time.

The first engine I painted after spending hours of degreasing and wire brushing it all flaked the first time it ran.

The second engine block I had shot blasted but It came back with a few stains which I painted over.

The painted block stood in a dry garage in winter for about a month when I noticed it flaking where the stains were.

My mate offered to shot blast it again. I painted it again and fitted it. It lasted untill winter before the paint started to flake off in places.

The paint I used was proper engine paint too. (Carplan I think)

The last engine I has bead lasted (or known as Vapour blasting).

Looks good now 2 years on.

The finish is like shot blasting but shiny.

t16ryan

i used engine gunk degreaser then steam cleaned my mi16 engine, then painted it in hammorite high temp paint its not flaked in 2 years and looks as good now as when it was paint really good finish on it, its well worth doing looks alot nicer then standard

Super Josh

Another vote for Hammerite smooth. A few others have used this too, and it's still looking good <_< .

Josh

Miles

Use brakecleaner to get the block oil free, Paint I use the Metalcoat from B&Q etc, The Hammerite keeps blocking the nozzle's

Shevy

Cheers guys,<_<

I'll let you know how I get on

pugpete1108

i just use white spirit in a squirty bottle (empty kitchen cleaner i think) , probably leathal to breathin the mist but , i think my lungs a pretty much fireproof <_< . works well though .

Paintguy

I'd use a water based degreaser first, like Gunk / Jizer / TFR etc, and powerwash it off, then a solvent product like thinners or brake cleaner to get the last little bits.

Edp

Wurth wheel and engine cleaner is very good. I think its mainly for motorbikes but it shifts the real ground in crap straight off.

I used engine enamel to spray my engine, still looks good now!

Super Josh
The Hammerite keeps blocking the nozzle's

Yeah, I've noticed that recently too.

Josh

smckeown

get some proper engine enamel, the finish is excellent

Shevy
Another vote for Hammerite smooth. A few others have used this too, and it's still looking good :blink: .

Josh

I popped into Halfords tonight in Didcot but could only find hammerite smooth, not Hammerite High temperature smooth. Halfords do their own High temp paint but I've no idea what that is like,so I didn't bother in the end.

Anyone know where I can buy the High temp stuff from that is near me, I live in Wallingford which is halfway between Oxford and Reading

Miles

Just the normal paint is fine, I never use high temp paint as the block never get's that hot compared to say the exhaust

richsmells

Oxford Paints behind the CO-OP in Steventon (small alley to the side), almost opposite the green, just before the bridge, before the big hill. Not sure they sell typical hammerites and stuff but they sell fecking loads of paint.

They supply bodyhops with paint. I had a colour mixed up and they put it in an aerosol for me. Very helpful.

Shevy

Thanks Miles, I'll grab some on my way home from work tonight.

Rich, I'll give that place a go to get my miami paint made up, cheers

Sign in to follow this