• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Miles

205 Cat, Lambda Sensor Wiring

Miles

Just need to know a simple thing of which wires go into the 2 pin plugs (Blue & Black ones) that plug into the Lambda sensor on the Cat equiped Motronic 205 GTi,

Cheers in advance :D

petert

switched +12V and earth

signal and earth

Miles

Would you know which pins they go into the std loom plugs thou? I;ve got my 12v and signals sorted out after hunting down the fuse for the heater side of the sensor.

Miles

Cheers for that Peter,

cybernck

hope this helps:

post-4-1154997342_thumb.jpg

(both whites to the black connector, grey and black to the blue connector).

p.s. don't cut and/or solder the wiring as apparently lambda sensor won't function correctly.

hilgert can tell you why more precisely :D.

petert

That seems kinda odd. When I make Haltech looms I always crimp, then solder the wires to the pins. I certainly haven't had an issue. I would have assumed that when you're only dealing with <1V, every effort must be made to eliminate a voltage drop.

cybernck

to put simple, as far as i understood, it's something to do with outside air

being drawn in to the lambda sensor through one of the wires in order to

compare it to the exhaust gas...

as i said, ask hilgie if you want the details ;).

Owain1602

Yes, it has nothing to do with volt drop. In order for the lambda sensor to compare the oxygen content of the exhaust gas with the oxygen content of the outside air, it must get a sample of both. It get the exhaust sample obviously through the sensor, but only way it can get a sample of outside air is for air to travel down the wiring to the sensor. It sounds mad i know.

I was told this on one of the Fuel Injection Bosch course i went on by one of the head training technicians Kevin Crangles.

Most lambda wiring is nichrome wire and it doesnt solder very well anyway, the joints might seem ok but infact it cracks quite easily because the solder doesnt actualy bond with the nichrome properly.

As you, i used to solder them but i dont anymore :S

Miles

Stuck again, I;ve got the black plug sorted, Power 12v + (96) and Earth

The Signal and Earth wires are not marked by a number I;ve found out both wires goto the ECU plug, Pins 10 (Green) & 20 (Red) but need to know which connect's to the Black and Grey wires of the sensor

Hilgie
Yes, it has nothing to do with volt drop. In order for the lambda sensor to compare the oxygen content of the exhaust gas with the oxygen content of the outside air, it must get a sample of both. It get the exhaust sample obviously through the sensor, but only way it can get a sample of outside air is for air to travel down the wiring to the sensor. It sounds mad i know.

I was told this on one of the Fuel Injection Bosch course i went on by one of the head training technicians Kevin Crangles.

Most lambda wiring is nichrome wire and it doesnt solder very well anyway, the joints might seem ok but infact it cracks quite easily because the solder doesnt actualy bond with the nichrome properly.

As you, i used to solder them but i dont anymore :S

I was told EXACTLY the same. It is in the Bosch service books as well. It is the reason all connectors are clamped to the wires instead of soldered.

Owain1602

If you get really desperate, what you could do if the engine runs is stick something that produces around 1-1.5V, i normaly use a AA battery. Earth the -ve side of the battery and send the +ve side down each wire in turn and watch what happens to the mixture. If you are sending the voltage down the signal wire the mixture will lean off a lot, if you're not nothing will happen. Bear in mind it would have to be hot enough for closed loop.

Quite weird the earth for the lambda sensor comes back to the ECU, but there we go, French wiring.

Miles

Thats the thing, It's not french wiring it's German, LOL The only thing I normally find wrong is the non French parts

Owain1602

Is it possible for you to do the test i explained above with the car or is it not possible? Its not damaging in any way to the ECU or anything else, it is probably the easiest way without getting PIN data which i dont have at home, Ill have a look in work tomorrow if you like.

Miles

I think I;ve worked it out with wiring info from most Pug models, The earth is a 0 volt referance with other sensors going to Pin 10 of the ECU the signal going to pin 20, Started the car up and all seems fine so fingers crossed come emmsion test time

Owain1602

o right, glad you found it. Since you're here and an expert on suspension. What do you recon of the yellow bodied bilstein struts and any idea of price for the front and rear? Thanks a lot, Owain.

Miles

Drop me a PM for further info on that, I'll get you a good deal without a doubt

Sign in to follow this