• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Gavin Waddell

Stoping Issuses

Gavin Waddell

got my mi into the car and its starts fine but it wont stop when you turn off the key. Basically its running a bx engine and loom. now everything is wired in correctly( as far as i know). the only way to stop the car is to unplug the earth wire that comes out the ing amp, but once this is unplugged the car wont start.

what doe this wire do, if its not earthed the car wont start but you have to un earth it for the car to stop. its becoming a bit tiresomw all the time having to open the bonnet.

cheers gavin

GLPoomobile

Not a solution but can you not just stall it instead of undoing the earth wire?

Rob_the_Sparky

Ignition wiring problem. I guess it could be an ignition switch problem but never heard of this happening. I bet that if you get a meter you will find the ignition is on even though the switch is off. Next step is to find out why...

Guest BrainFluid

Stop me if I'm talking nonsense, I'm not very clued up on the 16v petrol engines...

Is the fuel stop solenoid on the fuel pump working? (i know this has little to do with the wiring your talking about)

Also, my fuel pump has a 'stop' lever on it so you can phyically stop the engine if you needs to in an emergancy. Maybe yours does too, worth knowing about.

EDIT: (constantly stalling your car is bad news long term)

:rolleyes:

Edited by BrainFluid

pug_ham

Nate, petrol fuel pumps are nothing like a diesel one & they don't have a manual stop lever on them. At least I've never seen one.

It does sound like a connection has been crossed & the igntion is still live with the igntion off but then so is the fuel pump. If it wasn't it'd stop pretty soon.

I'd check the wiring before anything else.

Graham.

Rob_the_Sparky

Yeah, diesels are hard to stop (at least ones with mechanical injection) but petrols are hard to get to run!

Guest BrainFluid
Nate, petrol fuel pumps are nothing like a diesel one & they don't have a manual stop lever on them. At least I've never seen one.

Bummer :rolleyes: Looks like I was indeed talking nonsense! Do the petrol fuel pumps not even have a solenoid in them too?

Ryan

Make sure the 12v feed in the 2-pin plug with the rev counter is switched 12v and not a constant live.

Gavin Waddell

ryan it is getting a switched 12v thats what we dont understand. we have worked ou that the wirw is number2 out of the ing amp brown earth wire, now we it is earthed the car will start but not stop, you have to un earth it for the car to stop, we dont get it.

gavin

ps Does any one have any monotronic 3.1 wiaring diagram for the bx .

pug_ham

I've got a Haynes manual for the BX with the Motronic MP3.1 system (or do you mean 1.3? Looking at the Haynes you mean 1.3) in but no scanner but its not just the spark that is making it keep running, the fuel pump can't be switching off when you remove the ignition switched live either so there is something wrong with the wiring there imo.

Graham.

Gavin Waddell

pugtorque it has been wired as per a guide i was given, if you read the post previously it states my dilema(oh and its a 3.1). now ive just been and had a fiddle and well what i did was start the car then unplunged the ignition switch to simulate turning the ignition off in case it was a faulty ing switch but no, the blodody thing still runs i am stumped. ;)

any one got any ideas.

gavin

ps is jim il fix it still about :(

dee205

Better to check the basics first than to go clutching at straws. I'd make sure the was no crossed or damaged wires or anything in the loom itself.

Damien

Gavin Waddell

final update on the whole problem.

the old man and i start to trace the entire bx wiring loom and found that it was all correct.my dad was skeptical that it was wired wrong. any way we foun a rogue voltage that was giving 12v to the ecu thus keeping it running. so we unplugged the entire fuse board and then replugged what was needed to start the car which it did and turn off. then started to replug the fuse board plug by plug and kept checking the ecu power pin, and well plugged all the plugs in and it works the rogue voltage is go and i am a happy bunny. the car is now finished so will posts pics of the finished article tomorrow.

gav

jimbean

have you got the alternator wiring correct? if not it will use the alt as battery power ...if if the alt does not shut down the engine will keep running.... disconect the 10 mm nut on the alt unit and try.. it may not be this fault but i have seen it before>>>

Sign in to follow this