• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Mandic

Msd Ignition

Mandic

Hi,

I'd like a second opinion on this one, I'm thinking of buying MSD coils and wanna know if anyone of You has any experience with them.

There are two options I'm thinking between,

single with integrated plugs:

MSD96andupcoilpack.jpg

c1_1.JPG

or 4 individual coils

MSD_8207.jpg

All of these seem to have equal performance in terms of voltage, but I wanna know which is more user friendly, which is easier to setup with programable ECU and if I go for individual ones, they are cca twice the price, and weigh 4 times as much.

And another thing, how much does different spark plug lead length effect performance, surely length must have an effect on pre-ignition?

Thanks

Ziga

petert

It all depends on how many ignition outputs your ECU has. If you only have two and have to do wasted spark, then two double ended coils is your only choice. However, if you have four outputs and can do direct fire, then individual coils are the better option.

Voltage is really irrelevent as you need to tune the coils by specifying the saturation time in your software, unless you have "intelligent" ignition modules or CDI.

Personally, I think the GM individual coils, as fitted to the 5.7L V8, are a better option. They have built-in ignition modules, giving a far simpler installation. You can either run wasted spark, by wiring two coils in parallel (1 and 4, 3 and 2), or individual coils.

Edited by petert

Mandic

Yes, I forgot to mention I intend to use MegaSquirt, so I guess wasted spark it is, so two of these is a way to go.

msd-8224.jpg

Cheers

Ziga

Sign in to follow this