• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Az_GTi

Wobbly Gearstick

Guest Az_GTi

Hi - Could do with some help/advice please.

In the last two weeks I've noticed my gearstick go a bit wobby particularly in 2nd / 3rd gear when easing off for a junction. First thing I did... search this forum for info. Quite a few "wobbly gearstick" threads but almost all of them were problems when accelerating. Mines when easing off (no brakes) and doesn't do it all the time... ?

Any ideas?

Would flushing the gearbox and refilling help? I was going to do this anyway... do I need to remove the battery to get to the filler? I'm parked on the side of the road so don't really want to be rolling around trying to get to thing - likely to get run over :rolleyes::D

Anything need tightening? I read about the L shaped bracket and even the gearbox coming away from the engine. ???

BTW I'm a std 1.9 with induction, 1992.

Cheers

Azzzzzzzzzzzzza

EnglishRob

I had this on my old 1.6. It was wobbly but extremely awful at high speeds.

It was improved by replacing the drive shafts (passenger side I think).

HTH

Rob

pugpete1108

try the mounting bolt for the gear linkage on the subframe , mine worked loose after time and the gearstick went wobbly .

Guest Az_GTi

I hope not Rob. Pete, where exactly am I looking here (any chance of a picyy please :)) and what size ratchet/spanner am I going to need? Cheers

pugpete1108

i will try and get one tommorow , and i wil find out what size it is (could be a 13mm) ,there is a hole in the subframe and the bolt is hidden in it ,probably be best with a picture :)

Guest Az_GTi

Cheers mate. Driving my other car atm as I'm a little bit worried about it :blush:

Az

Guest Az_GTi

Did have manage to take a piccy? If anyone else has a piccy and can point me the the general area (L bracket) that would be great! Cheers

pugpete1108

sorry , been on night sthis week and have basically been eating and sleeping thats it, plus the garage is across town. wil get one for you at the weekend , i would't worry too much mine was like it for about a year and never actually came totally off. :wacko:

its not the L shaped bracket you need to look for (thats in the bay) iits the one that is accesible from under the car and bolts through from the top with a nylock nut on the bottom.

subbolt.jpg

just found this on my system not very clear i'm afraid but you may get the jist of it , if nott let ,me know i will get a better one

Edited by pugpete1108

pugpete1108

got round the garage today to take some pics, looks like a 13mm nut and you need to go through from under the car and use a socket to tighten the nut.

under view

hope this helps :lol:

Guest Az_GTi

Spot on cheers Pete. I just had the chance to lie under the car and have a look. I can't actually see into the hole but I could see which one you meant from the piccy, 13mm is correct. It seemed to tighten up loads, what is adjusting this nut actually doing? Should I do it up until tight?

BTW is there anywhere I can find a pictoral guide on how to replace 205 brake pads and hoses? I don't want to get em' apart and then not get them back together. They're somewhat important lol

Cheers

jOnO205

would imagine haynes manual will have that info mate ?/

Guest Az_GTi

Yeh you're probably right, i'll try and fish my copy out the loft.

Since tightening the bolt it's not stopped the gearstick wobble. Should I tighten the bolt tight? I'm ot 100% sure what it's actually doing, Pete can you shed any light? Still got wobbles... Cheers

jackherer

you need to do it up tight, it holds the gear linkage on! its not an adjustment or anything, its a fastener!

Guest Az_GTi
you need to do it up tight, it holds the gear linkage on! its not an adjustment or anything, its a fastener!

Cheers. Just got out there and tried to tighten up but feels like it is just spinning and is not getting any tighter. If I put my finger up by the nut I can feel plate/base (only just mind). But yeh it's just spinning and not tightening any more. Should it be "tight"?

jackherer

you need to use a spanner on the balljoint above the subframe to stop it turning, on the picture below its where the arrow that says "goes through from here" points to.

Guest Az_GTi

Doh. Got it eventually, not easy without raising the car up, but got it nonetheless. Tight as I can get it. Unfortunately doesn't seem to have solved my wobbly woes though. It does however feel a bit different, a bit tighter but still very wobbly when it wobbles, which isn't all the time...

I'm thinking a gearbox mount/rubber now as it doesn't do it under medium-full acceleration. Where should I be looking? Any photos or directions much appreciated. I think it's something that needs to be tracked down sooner rather than later :)

Any other suggestions?

Cheers

rogerrally

Had the same prob with mine, fitted all the quick shift stuff, which helped, but still droped out of gear on hard acceleration, and was vauge and crunched sometimes,

Just fitted a BBM rubber bush kit, and apart from the vibrations into the cabin, totaly cured the gear selection, and realy improves driving experience.

Also on Hants/ Surrey border!

Guest Az_GTi

I've still got this problem, it's very frustrating and I want to get it fixed as invariably with problems... they don't heal themselves...

Here's the facts:

* Wobbly gearstick is random, usually after the car has been running for 5mins (warmed up)

* When it wobbles it wobbles even with the clutch depressed or in Neural

* Thankfully it DOESN'T pop out of gear (yet)

* I have tightened the linkage from under the car, this has NOT helped (sadly)

* When wobbling if you accelerate more than 50% throttle then the wobble stops

I'm thinking gearbox mount maybe? A worn rubber? Would that give the symptoms above? Easy to replace?

s*itty gearbox oil?

I'm pretty stumped and want to get it sorted, so any suggestions please shout.

Cheers

Az

welshpug

worn gearbox and rear engine mounting, as well as worn gear linkage pivots can cause this.

most likely to be the mountings if they stop wobbling when you accelerate as you described.

Guest Az_GTi

Hi chaps. Thought I'd put an update on this thread (in case anyone else experiences similar problems) ... replacing the O/S driveshaft solved the problem. Gearstick is now nice and smooth :rolleyes:

Glad it's finally sorted! Wohoo :P

Cheers

AzzA

Sign in to follow this