• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
smckeown

Anyone Know How To Wire In Leds ?

smckeown

I'm looking at replacing an existing warning lamp with a bright but small LED, and wire in a new LED. I read somewhere you need resistors ? and that's where i stopped :)

Can anyone who knows what they are doing help me out ?

I'm hoping/assuming I can buy the bits needed from somewhere like maplin

cheers

sean

pugrallye

yes you can need to find out the currant draw of the led first then you have to put a resistor in series and they are polarity sensitive, i think the flat side on the led is the cathode (negative) been many years since playing with LED's so sure someone else can confirm the pin's

petert

R=(V-1.7)/0.020

where R= series resistance

V= input voltage

The aim is to drop the input voltage to 1.7 volts with a current of 20mA. The flat side of the LED is negative. Don't get stressed if you get the polarity wrong, just reverse it.

pugrallye
R=(V-1.7)/0.020

where R= series resistance

V= input voltage

The aim is to drop the input voltage to 1.7 volts with a current of 20mA. The flat side of the LED is negative. Don't get stressed if you get the polarity wrong, just reverse it.

they dont all use 20ma though!? it varies on size and light output

Mad Professor

Or go out and buy a 12v LED :D

I'll go now :rolleyes:

smckeown

can you buy 12v LEDs ?

smckeown

cheers craig, i love a simple solution :rolleyes:

Rob_the_Sparky

You need to know the spec of the LED. 12V LEDs simply have the resistor built in, these are the ones I'd use as they are much less hassle to use. Just remember that if you wire them up backward they won't work.

Rob

smckeown

I looked at the company craig mentioned but they looked a tad boring. I've since found this company http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/, and they have some nice and bright L.E.Ds that should do the trick:

dome31Blue.jpg

blue501.jpg

quadsblue.jpg

phatgti

I did 3 years on electronics at GCSE level and the only thing i remember about LED's are that you wire them "short leg to neg" :ph34r:

Sign in to follow this