• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
tidypug

Does This Sound Like A Duff Starter Motor?

tidypug

Sometimes when i try to start my car nothing happens when i turn the key, the dash lights up until the key is turned to start when the dash lights goes off ( i think thats normal), the starter doesn't even click. Then on other occasions it starts no problem.

Does this sound like a wiring fault or a knackered starter motor?

richard

it could be a few things,

brown multiplug, (hunreds of topics on search)

the solenoid lead (from the multiplug) has corroded or the plug/spade has.

solenoid is sticking (hit with hammer) seems to be the normal fix

Dodgy ignition barrel. (connection to solenoid not made)

Battery voltage drops (ie battery is on way out)

Gearbox earth, unlikely but i would expect it to be more consistent and show up in other things like lights etc.

I have a similar problem, (which everytime i put a freshly charged battery on it fires straight away) So i'm hoping its the battery, or it could be the starter motor itself. I get a 'hum' noise so think its due to battery charge or voltage drop.

pugpete1108

is it clicking when you turn it? , mine was doing this and i replaced the starter only to find a bad connection on it, just check all the leads are on properly before replacing the starter

sorry just niticed its not clicking doh! still check the connections anyway

Edited by pugpete1108

EnglishRob

I had this intermitantly on my old 1.6. I got the humming noise as if it was trying to do something.

IIRC one of the wires had come off the brown multi plug. I did find it would happen if the headlights lights were on and if I turned the headlights off the starter motor would work. Seemed to happen to me late last year when the weather was bad. Usually when it was raining. I found having the girlfriends kids in the car to help push was useful.

Rob

tidypug

i've got rid of the brown multi plug as it would make the car kangaroo down the road due to a bad connection. I'll have to have a look at the wiring, i hope its as simple as that.

roland rat
Sometimes when i try to start my car nothing happens when i turn the key, the dash lights up until the key is turned to start when the dash lights goes off ( i think thats normal), the starter doesn't even click. Then on other occasions it starts no problem.

Does this sound like a wiring fault or a knackered starter motor?

ive got exectly the same problem as you and the only avenue ive yet to explore is the igintion barrel as ive checked the other things listed,good luck sorting it out mate.

Dream Weaver

This happens on mine when the battery is low - as soon as I connect a battery charger it fires up.

Rob_the_Sparky
it could be a few things,

brown multiplug, (hunreds of topics on search)

the solenoid lead (from the multiplug) has corroded or the plug/spade has.

solenoid is sticking (hit with hammer) seems to be the normal fix

Dodgy ignition barrel. (connection to solenoid not made)

Battery voltage drops (ie battery is on way out)

Gearbox earth, unlikely but i would expect it to be more consistent and show up in other things like lights etc.

I have a similar problem, (which everytime i put a freshly charged battery on it fires straight away) So i'm hoping its the battery, or it could be the starter motor itself. I get a 'hum' noise so think its due to battery charge or voltage drop.

If the dash lights are going off then the starter is engaging and the battery voltage dropping so it isn't any of the first 4 suggestions.

I don't think it is battery earth as I can't see how this would make the battery voltage sag (as it restricts teh current draw) so it is most likely to be either a duff or flat battery.

Rob

tidypug

i'm hoping its not the battery as its a newish bosch unit.

What power should a good battery be, mine's sitting at 12.35 volts

Rob_the_Sparky

It could be not charging properly.

Battery voltage with no load can be deceiving. E.g. it can look fine but as soon as any load ia applied it drops like a stone. Measure the battery voltage with everything off and then again with a load (e.g. headlights on). If voltage drops like a stone then battery is either flat of duff.

Try a jump start, if this works then the battery was either flat or duff (although if too duff even this won't start it). With the engine running the alternator should put between 13.8 and 14.5V out (check at the battery) preferably closer to 14.5. If it is too low check again with the engine revs up a bit (e.g. 2-3k). If still low then you know why the battery is flat! If not then almost certainly the battery.

Rob

tidypug

right then, i've just been out and checked the voltage again, its now only 11.47 volts. So of course the car won't even try to do anything.

The strange thing is that when i have the battery out of the car ir will hold 12.36 volts all the time, but once its in the car it will drop in a couple of days. I thought it was the alarm draining the battery as it would totally flatten it in half a day. I have now disconnected the alarm so it now takes a couple of days instead of half a one. Could i be having a short somewere or is it still probably the battery?

Rob_the_Sparky

Hard to tell if it is a duff battery versus a discharged one. One way is to charge it (using a main charger) then leave it with one battery lead off and see if it holds charge. If it doesn't then blame the battery, if it does then look for something left on or an alternator not charging it.

Rob

tidypug

I just went to get my car bump started and thought i'd give it a final turn of the key, and to my surprise it started. I've checked the power going into the battery and its only 13 volts with nothing on then dropping to about 12.6 with everything on. So it looks like its a dead alternator, i've only just put this one on as i thought it was a recon unit that came with the donor 405.

Could it still be a wiring problem or is it pretty much deffinate that its the alternator?

Rob_the_Sparky

Almost certainly the regulator on the alternator.

tidypug

can i buy that seperatly or do i need to get a new alternator?

Rob_the_Sparky

Not sure, never bothered to do one myself but I doubt it is hard if you know which bits to replace!

Henry Yorke

I need a regulator to salvage a good nick alternator i have on my shelf. Mine over charged the battery, boiled some acid out of the over flow on top of the battery, which ran down onto the ignition module, shorting it out which caused the car to run on one coil (wasted spark system) and almost cause the exhaust to melt due to the unburnt fuel burning after the cat!!

(all the above on a reloomed Motronic Mp3.2 system on an XU9J engine in a CTI, hence the funny positions of things)

EnglishRob

I'm getting a similar problem in my white 1.6 205 now.

The car has been off the road for 3 months and not used. Was fine before but now it seems to start when it feels like it.

When I try and turn the ignition over the dash lights go dim and I hear some sort of buzzing noise and thats about it. I did notice the battery light come on earlier too.

One thought I had about my car was the alternator, afaik Pug_sport did a bodge up job with a wire going to it which the connector came off. He pushed the wire back into the socket and held it in place with the old connector. I'm sure this can't help but we needed to do it to get the car running. This makes me think the alternator isn't charging 100%.

Sods law it happened this weekend though. The gearbox looks like it has gone in my work Astra so I need to use the 205 for work tomorrow (secretly happy bout this).

Rob

Sign in to follow this