• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
acox99

Optimal Wheel Size For Sprint Car

acox99

Hello. im pretty new to all this, just started building an MI16 hillclimb/sprint car, can anyone help me as too what is the best wheel size for optimal grip and handleing, i am hopeing to put a 309 rear beam on and front track arms, is it best to stick with speedlines?

cheers for any help

Ali

TT205

I'm presuming you will be using List 1a road tyres

Most people use 6" or 6.5" rims (15's) with 195 50 15 or 195 45 15 tyres - you can't go wrong with Scudo Stunner tyres at ~£25 a corner they tear up and get grippy very quickly

There are a few using 13" rims - I've tried them myself and the car handles a dream compared to on bigger rims, but it is difficult (impossible at the moment) to find a decent tyre now that Bridgestone have stopped making the RE720 in this size

So ... I'd definately recommend 195 50 15 or 195 45 15 Stunners on standard speedlines

Maybe next season buy yourself some lighter 6.5" rims

Dave

PS just noticed you said Mi16 powered - in most championships you won't be allowed to run in road modified class with an Mi16 as the 205 was never fitted with one - so if you are put in modified production you can actually run slicks

Edited by TT205

tri_longer
I'm presuming you will be using List 1a road tyres

Most people use 6" or 6.5" rims (15's) with 195 50 15 or 195 45 15 tyres - you can't go wrong with Scudo Stunner tyres at ~£25 a corner they tear up and get grippy very quickly

There are a few using 13" rims - I've tried them myself and the car handles a dream compared to on bigger rims, but it is difficult (impossible at the moment) to find a decent tyre now that Bridgestone have stopped making the RE720 in this size

So ... I'd definately recommend 195 50 15 or 195 45 15 Stunners on standard speedlines

Maybe next season buy yourself some lighter 6.5" rims

Dave

That was handy, my friend and I had been discussing alternative wheel sizes or whether to go the lightweight route.

As it happens the guy we bought the car from gave us a set of Stunner's, are they any good? I had a bit of mooch on the forum and Superleggeras seem to be light are there any others you would recommend?

Chris.

SimonJ

There is an optimal wheel size for each combination of final drive ratio and hill, so, on the assumption that you aren't going to be changing ratio between events (though there is allegedly one chap in our class that does!) you would ideally have a choice of wheels available, and whether that it 13s/14s or 14s/15s depends on your final drive ratio.

smckeown

Rota attack (as on my car) and PeterT's citroen steelies (cant remember the details, search) are both much lighter than speedline/SMR, not quiet as light as Oz Superleggera though

acox99

Yeah im planning to run it in the modified production class, but i wont be able to go lower than 15's due to brake sizes, what sort of tyres do people recomend using, are slicks good, and what sort of tyres do you run in the wet.

cheers Alastair

Sam

Sandy had some Compomotive CXR's which are meant to be pretty light for their size, not sure on exact figures. Certainly loads lighter than my 16x8 TH's I bet!

TT205

I have Rota's like Sean above which are pretty light and have the advantage that although heavier than the same rim for a jap car, the extra weight is in the centre of the hub so has less effect.

On 15's Stunners or Bridgestone RE720's are the tyre of choice - possibly stunners have an edge (and are cheaper!) out of the list 1a tyres

I know very little about slicks - the mod prod guys I know use VERY soft compund and they cost a fortune plus you then need to stiffen your suspension hugely

I'd be tempted to start with road tyres as above and have some fun and get used to the car - but if you want something stickier from the outset, Pirrelli Zero 'C' tyres are pretty amazing (you'd still have issues with suspension though)

Dave

Batfink

you probably want to go as small as physically possible so more heat is generated into the tyre

Sandy
Sandy had some Compomotive CXR's which are meant to be pretty light for their size, not sure on exact figures. Certainly loads lighter than my 16x8 TH's I bet!

A shade over 6 kilos each.

309PUG

If it is purely used for sprinting / hillclimbing then the smaller the rolling dimeter of the wheel is better say 13 or 14 inch, this limits what brake disks / calipers you can use but this really isnt an issue as std OE equipment is fine.

However if your using it as a track car as well then 15 / 16 inch rims would be better.

Relating to mod prod class 3b, the slicks they use are usually Avon tyres from BMTR and cost about £160 a corner, and will probably only last a season (depending how many events you compete in)

Chris

hengti

if you're keeping the std brakes, i guess you're stuck with 15" wheels.

the rims you could use depends upon budget, obv

tyres - 1a. apart from those already mentioned, A539s are also popular. 1b. can you use full slicks? not sure - does it depend upon class of car? (re. blue book and specific event regs). the tyre choice (1a and 1b) you're limited to is in the blue book. most that i've noticed seem to use Yoko moulded slicks - A048, A032 etc - softer the better

Edited by hengti

TT205
if you're keeping the std brakes, i guess you're stuck with 15" wheels.

Sorry mate but this just isn't correct

If you are using standard brakes

14" wheels will fit eg 1.6 GTI

13" wheels will also fit (well certain one's anyway)

eg

13" PTS alloys

13" RFX Revolution alloys

13" Ford XR2 pepperpot alloys (with 10mm spacers)

Dave

hengti

i'd always thought that 14s wouldn't go over the 1.9 front disc set up - ? maybe i'm mixing up my cars

can you deffo get 14s on? i'd be interested in getting my own set if so, as the tyres are much cheaper

cheers

TT205

I can say for definate that the 13" rims I've mentioned above will fit over 1.9 and 1.6 GTI hubs

As for 1.6 GTI 14" GTI hubs - I've never personally used them but I understand that they will fit over 1.9 hubs

Dave

Sign in to follow this