• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest soo

Finding Cylinder Head

Guest soo

Hi

Did some search but maybe not that well...

I got a 1.6 gti with XU5J engine and I want to swap the cylinder head for the XU5JA head. But they are quite rare in Estonian market and hard to get. The main problem is that I couldn't recognize the right head if I'd see one.

The Peugeot dealer asked about 1500 !!! for the head... Thats a bit more than the car costs. But there are some used cylinder heads around 100-200 and the sellers said that they aren't the gti head but the standard 1.9 heads?? and they should be exactly the same.

I'm not sure that there is any 205 with 1.9 engine that isn't the gti so I'm a bit suspicious.

How can I tell that it's the right head? Is there any code or number on it that I could check?

Thanks a lot!

Ryan

The 1.9 GTI has the same head as the 1.6 XU5JA, the cam is a little different, but not a problem. I don't think the same head was ever fitted to any other models.

If you can find the engine code stamped onto the engine somewhere then engines with 'B6D' or 'D6B' will have the right head, anthing else won't as far as I know.

PumaRacing

There are no codes on the cylinder head. All you need to do is measure the valves. All 1.9 and the later 1.6 head are identical and have 41.6mm inlet valves and 34.5mm exhaust ones. If the camshaft is still in the head you can tell if it's a 1.9 or 1.6 one. The 1.6 cam has a chamfer about 1mm wide on each side of each lobe. The 1.9 one doesn't.

Also, every 1.6 cam I've seen has wear on the lobes, often completely worn out. The 1.9 cams don't wear. Try and swap to a 1.9 cam at the same time.

All this is in the article on my website.

Guest soo

Thanks! This seems to be very helpful.

Guest soo

I'll bring up the old topic...

The racing season has ended for this year and the engine needs a proper rebuild - changing gaskets, new piston rings etc...

I'm still driving the 105 hp engine wiht old cylinder head. I had an idea to switch the cylinder head to the newer model (115 hp), but does it have a noticable effect. I mean is it worth it, does the acceleration and torque improve? Or is it good enought to polich and trim the current head?

Thanks in advance,

Anti

Richie-Van-GTi

the heads are the same, its the camshaft that changes. If your rebuilding I would suggest getting a 1.9 camshaft and possibly changing the crankshaft to 1.9 stroke, although it would be easier to buy a 1.9 engine complete but be sure to get the ECU and AFM.

PUGugly
the heads are the same, its the camshaft that changes. If your rebuilding I would suggest getting a 1.9 camshaft and possibly changing the crankshaft to 1.9 stroke, although it would be easier to buy a 1.9 engine complete but be sure to get the ECU and AFM.

Thought the early 1.6 and late 1.6 had diff valve sizes, with the later 1.6 having the same valves as the 1900 head? Surely it's not just a diff cam that they used is it?

Can you tell the diff between an early small valve head and a later big valve head without seperating the head and block? Was selling a '1.6 big valve engine' on e-bay last week and a bloke looked at it, removed the rocker cover and said coz it had a horseshoe retainer on the cam it must be a small valve head. :)

welshpug
Thought the early 1.6 and late 1.6 had diff valve sizes, with the later 1.6 having the same valves as the 1900 head? Surely it's not just a diff cam that they used is it?

Can you tell the diff between an early small valve head and a later big valve head without seperating the head and block? Was selling a '1.6 big valve engine' on e-bay last week and a bloke looked at it, removed the rocker cover and said coz it had a horseshoe retainer on the cam it must be a small valve head. :)

first two points are totally correct.

the cams are interchangeable, one cam has chamfered lobes the other doesnt, although both were changed to looking the same on late cars (cant remember which way round it was, all chamfered or not chamfered)

duration and overlap differ between 1.6 and 1.9 cams, as do early and late 1.6 cams and late 1.9 cat equipped.

as for telling size of valves without measuring I doubt its possible, no idea what this "horseshoe" retainer would be!!! did you know it was a big valved head on there?

PUGugly
first two points are totally correct.

the cams are interchangeable, one cam has chamfered lobes the other doesnt, although both were changed to looking the same on late cars (cant remember which way round it was, all chamfered or not chamfered)

duration and overlap differ between 1.6 and 1.9 cams, as do early and late 1.6 cams and late 1.9 cat equipped.

as for telling size of valves without measuring I doubt its possible, no idea what this "horseshoe" retainer would be!!! did you know it was a big valved head on there?

Will take photo of the 'horseshoe retainer' and upload it later for you to have a look at. Its the same as on some of the 405 engines (remember this from removing cam journals at breakers yard!).

No still not removed the head from the block and I got no intention to for the moment, as my dear old nan used to say 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' plus I havn't got the money for the skim and gaskets till after xmas, damn those pesky kids!!!. :)

Interesting to see late 1900 cat equiped cars have diff cams, wots best for the non cat engines? Any idea if the later 'cat cams' will add or subtract power from a non 'catted' car!

lagonda

I believe the later (115bhp) 1.6 and all 1.9 heads had a casting pattern number "IV", whereas that on the early 105 bhp heads was "I". On my head this is on the flat area between the 2 exhaust ports nearest the timing belt sprocket. Another way of telling is by looking at the combustion chambers. Would be easier with photos, but anyway, they are all "D" shaped. On the 105bhp heads, the straight side of the "D"s are all in a line. On the later heads, the straight sides are all at angles. More simply, if you laid a ruler along the straight side of any 105bhp "D", the edge of the ruler would line up with the straights of all the other "D"s. If you did the same with any 115bhp or 1.9 "D", it wouldn't line up with any of the other straights.

Hope that's clear!

PUGugly
I believe the later (115bhp) 1.6 and all 1.9 heads had a casting pattern number "IV", whereas that on the early 105 bhp heads was "I". On my head this is on the flat area between the 2 exhaust ports nearest the timing belt sprocket.

Very interesting!! Anyone else have any input on this? Maybee someone out there has got a 105 bhp 1600 that could check this out?? Had a look at several heads and they all got IV stamped on and all got the larger valves.

markic
Very interesting!! Anyone else have any input on this? Maybee someone out there has got a 105 bhp 1600 that could check this out?? Had a look at several heads and they all got IV stamped on and all got the larger valves.

I have a 1986 © 1.6 GTi just put my car on a ramp at work, to have a nosey. On mine there is no such markings at all anywhere on the back of the head, let alone in the location stated. There are no markings anywhere on the head.

PUGugly
I have a 1986 © 1.6 GTi just put my car on a ramp at work, to have a nosey. On mine there is no such markings at all anywhere on the back of the head, let alone in the location stated. There are no markings anywhere on the head.

May be slightly obscured by the manifold!!

Sign in to follow this