• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
stealth_pug

Wurring Noise Coming From Clutch?

stealth_pug

After recently swapping my 1.1 for a 1.4 engine everything seems to be running fine except for a wurring noise which i have been getting. It happens all the time unless i press the clutch in then it stops but it still does it when its in neutral so i'm guessing it has something to do with the clutch. The noise gets louder when accelerating. I do not think the lever arm is fouling on anything as this may have made a vibrating sound. This leads me to believe it may be the clutch release bearing. I have been driving it with the new engine for over a week now and it does not seem to have got any worse. If the problem is the release bearing how urgent is it that i replace it as i am driving to newquay in about a month and don't fancy driving on a dodgy clutch.

thanks

bren_1.3

when you changed you engine did you replace the clutch with a brand new one, or was it one that was on the engine, and you didnt check it over? if its a new one if could just be an adjustment on the clutch cable. which you should try anyway to see if that helps, otherwise you might have to get back in there to check it all out.

is there any problem with engaging drive itself? any judders? always pays to have the cluch assembly off for checking, i checked my old XS clutch before it went on the race engine, and found it was knackered.

macaroni

The clutch release bearing would wurr when the pedal is pressed. If the sound is there all the time until the clutch is pressed, it suggests more of a gearbox bearing problem.

Henry Yorke

Sounds like a thurst bearing to me (I think this is also the clutch release bearing)

macaroni

Thrust bearings are what the crankshaft push against when the clutch is pushed. The release bearing is what releases the clutch drive plate from the pressure plate and as the clutch is spinning, it needs to be a bearing.

These would only make a noise when the clutch is pressed. Thrust bearings don't really wear out these days

Sandy
Thrust bearings are what the crankshaft push against when the clutch is pushed. The release bearing is what releases the clutch drive plate from the pressure plate and as the clutch is spinning, it needs to be a bearing.

These would only make a noise when the clutch is pressed. Thrust bearings don't really wear out these days

Clutch release bearings most often whirr or rattle when not under pressure as the bearing float isn't taken up. A noise that dissappears when the pedal is pressed has always been a tired release bearing in my experience. It's really easy to displace the release bearing when fitting the MA gearbox, if you don't keep the clutch lever in the fully disengaged position when lifting the gearbox on. I've done loads of them but still usually manage to dislocate it first time!

stealth_pug

It is the same clutch and gearbox that were in the new engine and i didnt do anything with either of them so it shouldn't have come dislodged should it?

Sandy

It can do, if you move the clutch lever while you're lifting it into position.

Sign in to follow this