• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Pob

1.9 Fuel Problem?

Pob

I have just got my engine back together after replacing the headgasket and its got a problem, I don't know if I've not plugged something in, or put a pipe in wrong but the car won't run properly. It starts ok, but idles fast one minute and the next about stalling. If I press the accelerator the engine will stall without pumping the throttle.

Any ideas what I have done wrong? I've check the electrical connections and they are ok, check the pipes and they seem ok. Checked the fuel pump and that is working, could removing the inlet manifold messed the injectors up? Are the injectors on a 1.6 the same as a 1.9? The timing has been rechecked and its fine, it runs fine when its fast idling but it just won't run when you press the accelerator

Any help greatly appreciated, I'm all out of ideas now ;)

Many Thanks,

Dan

Edited by Pob

steve@cornwall
I have just got my engine back together after replacing the headgasket and its got a problem, I don't know if I've not plugged something in, or put a pipe in wrong but the car won't run properly. It starts ok, but idles fast one minute and the next about stalling. If I press the accelerator the engine will stall without pumping the throttle.

Any ideas what I have done wrong? I've check the electrical connections and they are ok, check the pipes and they seem ok. Checked the fuel pump and that is working, could removing the inlet manifold messed the injectors up? Are the injectors on a 1.6 the same as a 1.9? The timing has been rechecked and its fine, it runs fine when its fast idling but it just won't run when you press the accelerator

Any help greatly appreciated, I'm all out of ideas now ;)

Many Thanks,

Dan

Check the imfamous blue temp. sender plug (below dizzy) and that the connectors have not pushed out of the body of the plug- results in overfuelling and the symptoms you describe. If this is the case, check that your oil is not smelling of petrol, it gets past the pistons! and change if necessary.

Pob
Check the imfamous blue temp. sender plug (below dizzy) and that the connectors have not pushed out of the body of the plug- results in overfuelling and the symptoms you describe. If this is the case, check that your oil is not smelling of petrol, it gets past the pistons! and change if necessary.

I've replaced the ECU Temp sender, Dizzy cap, Rotor arm, HT Leads. Checked the resistance on the AFM & Wiring Also on the ECU Temp sender. Swapped the SAD and Im still having problems. It is now missing between 1-2.5k above that its ok, it coughs and slutters if you blip the throttle or accelerate hard. If you ease it over 2k its not too bad, it seem to get worse the warmer it gets.

Any ideas? Could it be from Spark plugs or the coil breaking down? Also I have a FSE fitted, would this need adjusting??

I'm running out of ideas now

Thanks,

Dan

j_turnell

Ditch the boost valve they are useless and just waste fuel unless your engine is highly tuned or turbo'd. Yes your Co will be miles out so it would need setting up, fit the standard regulator back on.

If it still does it check for air leaks, inlet manifold gasket not on right, or oil filler securing bolt missin etc.

Edited by j_turnell

Pob
Ditch the boost valve they are useless and just waste fuel unless your engine is highly tuned or turbo'd. Yes your Co will be miles out so it would need setting up, fit the standard regulator back on.

If it still does it check for air leaks, inlet manifold gasket not on right, or oil filler securing bolt missin etc.

Pretty sure I've found the problem, loosened the inlet manifold off and re-tightened to correct torque settings and its running alot better, has a the occasional hiccup but i think it will need another new inlet manifold gasket.

Also Swapped the fuel regulator aswell.

How do you adjust the idle speed? It seems to fluctuate a bit, im guessing this is from the inlet leaking slightly still?

Also the exhaust seems like its blowing, there is a small crack in the manifold, doesn't seem to be going into the 'pipe' section of the manifold, do you think this could be to blame? Or how about the flexible section on the exhaust? Or is it normal to sound a little blowy?

Many Thanks for you help :)

Dan

rickybiggs99

The idle mixture screw is the brass one on the throttle body

Sign in to follow this