• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
ste996

Oil Temp Sender

ste996

Were is the oil temp sender unit located on the engine s2 1.9 gti.

mines stopped working. pic would be good.

huxley309

back of oil sump

ste996

Had a look and found a brown sensor with a green band round it. There were also two brown wires one with a female connection and a loose wire with nothing attached to it.

Put the female one on and nothing happened.

Did the same with the loose wire and nothing happened, eathed the loose wire to the battery and the gauge did read but went up to the highest reading with just the ignition on and when the engine was running

whats going on. :P

Edited by ste996

TEKNOPUG

From memory, there should just be one wire from the sender. They are usually missing (cut, snapped, melted etc) when you first get the car. They attach into the brown multi-plug in the upper-right-middle of the engine bay. I can't remember exactly which connection it is, but hopefully you can trace a broken wire from the multi-plug end. Then just connect a new piece of wire between the two (use heat shield also).

jackherer

you have to get the oil pretty warm before the needle moves so if you were doing this with a cold (ish) engine that could explain it...

instead of connecting wires to the sensor ground them one at a time, when you ground the oil temp wire the gauge will read maximum.

ste996

Found the wire by doing just that.

Why is it always the bare wire with no connections on it, really short and a pig to get at. :lol:

will fit it all up tonight and give it a try tomorrow, got a trip up the motorway to liverpool to do so should get a reading going up there.

jackherer
Why is it always the bare wire with no connections on it, really short and a pig to get at. :lol:

the oil temp wire gets baked by the exhaust so its always cracked and brittle on 205s.

ste996
the oil temp wire gets baked by the exhaust so its always cracked and brittle on 205s.

Otherwise know as the law of sod.

i've found the right wire then, found it dangling next to the manifold in the condition you described.

ste996

Still not working. Must be the sensor.

Gauge working fine when earthed. Have i found the correct sensor it's brown with a green band around it, right handside rear side of engine about halfway up.

Russelltp

The oil temp sender is in the sump on the back of the engine. Should be able to spot it easily from under the car.

ste996

not looked in the right place yet then.Must get right under and have a proper look. anyone know what sensor i've found.

Edited by ste996

ste996

Found it, just not looked under far enough. It's a bit mullered were the wire comes out. Going to be replaced next oil change. i assume that the oil will pour out when the sensor is removed.

Sign in to follow this