• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
TaffyTim

Mi16 Upkeep

TaffyTim

With Miles doing all the hard work on my car I thought I would get my hands dirty and change the dizzy cap, arm, leads and plugs myself.

I went to my local motor shop and told the bloke I had a converted car he seemed happy to show his apprentice what he needed to do on the computer and then told me i would have to wait a few days for them to be delivered as most weren't off the shelf bits. I went about town to try and find some but failed and phoned my order back through to the that company.

I think they have given me parts for an 8 valver. Although Im hoping that the plugs are right as I specificaly said that i needed the NGK BCP7ET type and not hte type his screen said.

Heres some pics of what they gave me:

Champion plugs C6BYC, with 3 prongs

BoughtPlugs.jpg

Dizzy Cap with one 2 screw holes

BoughtDizzyCap.jpg

Rotor Arm with chip in plastic also

BoughtArm.jpg

the cap and arm that are on my car look totally different, can someone confirm that they are correct

MiRotorArm.jpg

MiDizzycap.jpg

Finally i bought some new leads but the ones on the car are Manecor leads. The leads on there look a bit old would you suggest replacing them with my cheap leads or leaving them on?

MiLeads.jpg

Thanks all

Tim

t16ryan

Yep thats a 8v cap, best to ask him for bits for a 405 1900 mi16,

TaffyTim
Yep thats a 8v cap, best to ask him for bits for a 405 1900 mi16,

OK thanks t16ryan, is it the same for the arm?

Also Any Ideas on the plugs?

Ryan

I've found it's best to ask for the parts for a BX 16V. If you ask for 405 Mi16 parts then 50% of the time they turn out to be wrong, either 8v parts, or 2.0 mi16 parts.

James_R

that cap and arm look almost new anyways.

As for the leads, aren't magnacor lifetime guarntee'd can't you just send them back and get new ones free?

jonnie205

Take it all back, leads are best left with the ones you have and rotor arm and cap look in VGC to me.

Miles

Cap and Arm look fine so I wouldn't replace them, Leads from memory where OK too, THe plug's are wrong they should be 7 heatrange

TaffyTim

Ok then Ill take them back and stick to what ive got. My spark plg remover is a bit too short so I'll get you to check the plugs when its down with you miles and we can fit new ones if needed. Although as the rst looks good I'd imagine the plugs are ok too.

Thats rubbish I wanted to do a bit of work on the car and not let Miles have all the fun :D

TaffyTim

Well I have taken the parts back to local motorfactor and exlpained that they have made a mistake and they were well arsey. They were trying to make it sound as if it was my fault that they got the wrong parts. I have been given a begrudged refund on most bits cause they were the wrong parts but as the cables were the correct set they would only give me a credit note the cheaky bastards.

C_W

You can't always tell the condition of the arm by sight but if it runs ok then I'd leave it. I had one that looked like new but caused an annoying mis-fire when hot.

Kev-G
Well I have taken the parts back to local motorfactor and exlpained that they have made a mistake and they were well arsey. They were trying to make it sound as if it was my fault that they got the wrong parts. I have been given a begrudged refund on most bits cause they were the wrong parts but as the cables were the correct set they would only give me a credit note the cheaky bastards.

Looking @ #1 cable, I'd change them now you have them....

Sign in to follow this