• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
roland rat

20mm Torsion Bars

roland rat

does any body know of anyone who makes 20mm torsion bars?

Wurzel

Speak to AB Motorsport (search the internet).

I believe they can supply any diameter you desire or at least they did when I last spoke to their supplier :)

roland rat
Speak to AB Motorsport (search the internet).

I believe they can supply any diameter you desire or at least they did when I last spoke to their supplier :lol:

the reason i ask this is that i went to buy a rebuilt rear beam with supposed 21mm tbs fitted to it.when i measured them with my vernier callipers they rear as 20.45mm (digital readout).not sure if the guys having me on or that they are 20mm torsion bars? :)

p.s he said he bought them from skip brown cars

Edited by roland rat

Butler

Peugeot Sport used to sell Torsion bars in 20, 21 and 23mm.

Not sure if 20.45 is 20 or 21 though.

Standard is 19mm.

SimonJ

Both Shenpar and SBC advertise 20mm and 21mm bars.

Rippthrough
the reason i ask this is that i went to buy a rebuilt rear beam with supposed 21mm tbs fitted to it.when i measured them with my vernier callipers they rear as 20.45mm (digital readout).not sure if the guys having me on or that they are 20mm torsion bars? :)

p.s he said he bought them from skip brown cars

They're about 34% stiffer than stock if that helps.

roland rat

so is it worth me buying it then?what real difference will it make to my car? :)

Batfink

the rear torsion bar is the equivalent of your front springs

roland rat

so the thicker the torsion bar the stiffer the rear end is?does anybody run 20/21tb's and if so how does it change the handling on their gti?

Bonzai

have you seen how much new TBs cost?!?! swap them for standard GTI ones and sell them on :)

roland rat
have you seen how much new TBs cost?!?! swap them for standard GTI ones and sell them on :)

nah,im going to fit them as the beam there in has been refurbished and i can have it for a tidy price :) .hopefully the set up wont be too harsh on the roads

roland rat
This topic about my rear beam might prove useful for you:

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?s...ion%20bars&st=0

Mmm :) does this mean my gti is more likely to oversteer due to the fitment of the 20/21mm tb's?is so not so sure ill fit them as the last thing i want is to put my gti into a hedge!!

pug_ham

I've got a beam rebuilt with some 20mm torsion bars but as yet it hasn't been fitted to a car so I can't comment on the changes it makes.

I'll measure them with my verniers tomorrow & compare them with the 21mm ones I also have.

AFAIK 20mm tb's are part of the SBC phase2 suspension kit.

Graham.

roland rat
I've got a beam rebuilt with some 20mm torsion bars but as yet it hasn't been fitted to a car so I can't comment on the changes it makes.

I'll measure them with my verniers tomorrow & compare them with the 21mm ones I also have.

AFAIK 20mm tb's are part of the SBC phase2 suspension kit.

Graham.

that would be great if you dont mind measuring the tb's for me!!!! :unsure:

thanks ashley

Edited by roland rat

pug_ham
that would be great if you dont mind measuring the tb's for me!!!! :unsure:

thanks ashley

Forgot to do it this afternoon, I'll do it tomorrow.

Fairly sure I've measured them before though, the 20mm ones were 20mm & 21mm's were 21.

Wurzel used to have some 21.5mm 309 TB's & Longman's made ARB's in 0.5mm increments iirc so it is a possibility that you could get TB's in 0.5mm increments also.

Graham.

roland rat
Forgot to do it this afternoon, I'll do it tomorrow.

Fairly sure I've measured them before though, the 20mm ones were 20mm & 21mm's were 21.

Wurzel used to have some 21.5mm 309 TB's & Longman's made ARB's in 0.5mm increments iirc so it is a possibility that you could get TB's in 0.5mm increments also.

Graham.

being 20.45mm i think they must be 20mm with just a thick layer of paint on them.

feb

I have the SBC phase II kit fitted and it has made a great difference to how the car handles. it is much more planted to the road now;

iirc the torsion bars are 21mm. The ARB are also upgraded, think they are 2mm thicker than std.

Edited by feb

pug_ham
being 20.45mm i think they must be 20mm with just a thick layer of paint on them.
Not imo, the paint is properly etched into them so would only be a few microns thick & certainly not almost 0.5mm thick. I measured some standard bars & both on sections that were still painted & one that wasn't the difference in thickness was absolutely minute (0.001mm).
iirc the torsion bars are 21mm. The ARB are also upgraded, think they are 2mm thicker than std.

Very likely, I remember when NickR had his GTi-S that had the SBC phase2 kit & I thought he said he'd measured the TB's at 20mm but hadn't taken the ARB out to check that & SBC wouldn't disclose what size it actually was.

Graham.

feb
Very likely, I remember when NickR had his GTi-S that had the SBC phase2 kit & I thought he said he'd measured the TB's at 20mm but hadn't taken the ARB out to check that & SBC wouldn't disclose what size it actually was.

Graham.

won't SBC disclose what size the ARB is? :unsure:

What is the std ARB thickness?

P.S. i had the impression that both ARB and torsion bars of the phaseII kit were GrpN items.

pug_ham

Standard ARB & TB's are 19mm.

According to the Rally build manual the Torsion bars were;

20mm- 205 forest

23mm- 205 tarmac

But it doesn't mention the ARB.

Graham.

pug_ham

Remembered to measure my bars today, the 20mm ones ranged from 19.94mm to 20.13mm & the 21's from 21.09mm to 21.47mm all around the same circumference points.

I'd say yours have a thick coat of paint on them.

Graham.

roland rat
Remembered to measure my bars today, the 20mm ones ranged from 19.94mm to 20.13mm & the 21's from 21.09mm to 21.47mm all around the same circumference points.

I'd say yours have a thick coat of paint on them.

Graham.

thanks mate greatly appreicated for doing that.anyway as long as they stiffen it up a bit im quite happy :)

Sign in to follow this