• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Edp

Grumbling Noise

Edp

I have a wierd grumbling noise started from the front suspension when I turn. It happens at all speeds but most loud when driving/turning slowly. Is my steering rack on its way out?

I cant really explain what the sound is like but i'll have a go. . . grrrrrrrrrr :P

The car has been recently lowered 35mm on new springs and struts. Would this have anything to do with it?

Any ideas :)

wildejon

Does it happen when you go both left and right?

Edp

Yes both ways.

Its like a creaking noise?!

Edited by Edp

Simes

Does it do it whilst moving? Is it a constant grinding type sound?

BuD

Is it only as you are turning the steering wheel or any time you are moving and the road wheels are straight ahead?

Edp

its fine when i'm driving straight ahead, only when turning into corners and parking up. It does it even with the engine off and im just turning the steering wheel.

Its not a grinding noise. Its definatley coming from the steering somewhere.

Pug_101

seized top mounts, loose subframe, wheel bearings, lower ball joint or Track control balljoint in that order.

Also worth checking the route of the brake caliper hoses and making sure they are loose at full lock both ways.

Oh and check the wheel bolts :)

Edp

Brand new top mounts,

Subframe has new bolts,

Fukced wheel bearings make a humming noise when driving and theres no hum,

Lower ball joint or Track control balljoint could be but i would suspect it would make banging noises when hitting pot holes and drain covers not a grumbling noise.

It has new braided hoses which dont touch anything when it steers. The wheel bolts are nipped up nice and tight.

I have a feeling its the steering rack........cheers anyway!

Simes

Disconnect the lower end of each drop link and see if that makes a difference.

TEKNOPUG

CV joints? Is it worse in reverse?

Edp

Simes, i will do that tomorrow when i get home from work.

Tekno, Im not sure to be honest, i will take it to a car park and see.

I got her up in the air earlier and turned the wheels by hand, Its wierd becuase it makes the noise inside the car :) Maybe its the steering colomn?

mat1227

i'm not sure if this helps but my car has exactly the same symptoms, took it into the local pug dealer for something unrelated and thought I'd ask the opinion of one of the mechanics while I was there.

having had a play around, he said it was definitely the steering rack, he seemed to be saying that something had perished and caused the lubricant to leak out.

I don't have a clue mechanically (as I'm sure you can tell from the above :D ), but thought I'd add this for what it's worth.

mat

Edited by mat1227

sherly
I got her up in the air earlier and turned the wheels by hand, Its wierd becuase it makes the noise inside the car :D Maybe its the steering colomn?

I've got exactly the same problem with mine and I agree, as wierd as it sounds, it does sound louder in the drivers footwell.

Also, oddly enough, the noise seems to get worse either after a longish drive or if the weather is really hot. I can drive the 5 miles to work in the morning without any noise but if I go much futher it then starts graunching.

Mart ;)

Edp

Exactly! Im sure its a f***ed steering rack which once it warms up starts making wierd noises. Unless its the steering colomn?

Someone mentioned bushes but why would the noise be so loud in the footwell?

sherly

I found something out last night which is causing my creaking noises......

Turns out that the drivers side ARB drop link is shagged. The rubber covering the top ball-joint had perished and the joint had rusted and gone stiff.

When the steering was turning the joint was sticking and unsticking as it rotated, transmitting a creaking noise through the spring/strut.

I found it by disconnecting the rack at each hub and then swivelling each strut by hand. The noise was still present on the driver side - ruling out the rack.

I then disconnected the top of the ARB link (noticed the split boot) and rotated the strut again - the noise had disappeared. :):):)

I removed it last night and drove the car home and now have silent steering. I've not had a chance to test it over a longer journey but I'm confident it's cured it.

Edp

Thats fukced my theory of a sparkly new steering rack with the agreement from the missus!

New droplinks it is then :)

sherly
Thats fukced my theory of a sparkly new steering rack with the agreement from the missus!

New droplinks it is then ;)

Obviously check it all out first though - it could well still be your rack. It does sound very similar to what I've been experiencing though.

Just for the record - Peugeot want £103.40 each for droplinks :)

So that was me straight down to my local motor factors to buy a £20 cheapo special which is probably made of cheese, which I'll probably be replacing again in a few thousand miles......... :(

jonah

Could just be that the grease has dried up from the rubber grommet where the steering column goes through the bulkhead...

Edp

Had a look at my droplinks and although the passenger side one looks ok the drivers one has dried up and the clip holding the rubber has fallen off.

Looks like the problem to me. I'll keep you posted.

roland rat
Had a look at my droplinks and although the passenger side one looks ok the drivers one has dried up and the clip holding the rubber has fallen off.

Looks like the problem to me. I'll keep you posted.

did getting new droplinks fitted sort this out? :D

Guest sartago

there's something going on with my car too... actually two different noises that i can even feel in the steering wheel. since i dont know many of the names you are calling to the car's parts, please talk to me as if i was four. :)

1 - when i engage reverse (eg. side parking) and then brake gently, most of the times the front wheels seem to block for an instant.. this comes with a noise and a deep "pock!" sound from the steering column (?). it sometimes doesn't make a sound at all and brakes smoothly... so there must be a pattern, which i haven't identified yet :/

2 - when i drive on the road there's a situation - *only* when i turn right (no matter the speed, but most noticeable when driving faster) - in which a grumbling noise comes out also from the steering column, around the same place described in the "other" noise.

any clues for what this might be? i'm the (proud :)) 3rd owner of this 1988 1.6 GTI, with just a few mods from the original, but the 2nd owner gave little maintenance to the car and it was stalled for a couple of years, just before i got it (i know nothing prior to that).

cheers,

jd

Faz85

Hi JD,

The first problem you describe sounds like a problem i used to have on a previous 306 i used to own...during parallel parking sometimes, the steering would tighten up and then make the afore mentioned "pock" sound before steering as normal again, however that car had power steering and the problem was attributed to a faulty steering pump (so probably not much help to you). I lived with the problem for the entire time i owned the car without any serious problem developing.

Faraz

Edp

It ended up being the steering wheel rubber gaiter where the shaft goes through the bulkhead. The hot weather must have made it tight meaning it 'moaned' when i steered anywhere.

A bit of grease and hey presto no more groans.

Rippthrough

If it helps anyone I've just got a grumbling noise from my left strut for about an 1/8 off full lock - it's had new top mount bearings etc, so waswn't sure what it was - anyway, checked it today, and the spring pan is touchings the top mount :P

God knows what's happened there.

( didn't take it off, I'm not very well, volunteers welcome!)

-Phillip

Sign in to follow this