• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
johno_78

1.6 & 1.9 Rear Beam Differences

johno_78

as the title says really as i have seen a 1.6 recon beam but wont bother if it aint as good as a 1.9 one.

max0
as the title says really as i have seen a 1.6 recon beam but wont bother if it aint as good as a 1.9 one.

you really want a 309 GTI beam as there wider (40mm) and have better torsion / anti roll bars to improve handling

if you have a 1.6 beam already you can use the anti roll bar / torsion bars to make up a base model beam if yours is dead.

base model beams dont have the bulge in the middle. Do a search as its been covered a lot but to answer your question i think they are the same but the trailing arms are slightly different to allow for the disk brakes

Andy

Edited by max0

Jonmurgie

But to answer your actual question, yes the 1.6 and 1.9 bams are the same except for the brakes :blush:

johno_78

excellent, thanks for that Jonmurgie :blush:

max0
excellent, thanks for that Jonmurgie :blush:

sorry for the long winded post :blush:

inferno

so just to throw a spanner in the works... my 1.6 abs beam is actually the same as the 1.9 beam also?

Veero
my 1.6 abs beam is actually the same as the 1.9 beam also?

Are you asking us or telling us?

Surely a 1.6 ABS beam will have all the motion sensing stuff on (as in the ABS gear) which most 1.9 beams don't so how can they be the same...

Veero

inferno

i was asking... hence the question mark ;)

Anthony

1.6 and 1.9 beams are the same apart from the following:

• Brakes themselves
  • Stub axles and hub nuts
  • Wheel bearings
  • Rear caliper mounting
  • Standard ride height (1.6 are slightly higher)

The main parts - tube, torsion and anti-roll bars, trailing arms, shafts etc - are all the same (the exception being the very early 1.6's, but they're very rare now)

To the best of my knowledge, 1.6 ABS cars had a standard 1.9 beam fitted but used a different rear brake compensator to the 1.6/1.9 non-ABS

Veero
i was asking... hence the question mark ;)

Well it wasn't totally clear since the sentence was a statement with a '?' tacked on the end ^_^

So 1.6 ABS cars didn't have the motion sensor or toothed parts (like on the ABS front driveshafts)? So did they just work on if the front wheels were locked up or not?

Veero

Anthony
So 1.6 ABS cars didn't have the motion sensor or toothed parts (like on the ABS front driveshafts)? So did they just work on if the front wheels were locked up or not?

Correct - 205/309 ABS was just a two wheel system that worked on the front wheels, and has a load-based compensator for the rear wheels. No speed sensing on the rear hubs at all. So rather primative compared to modern ABS...

Emmy Seize
Correct - 205/309 ABS was just a two wheel system that worked on the front wheels, and has a load-based compensator for the rear wheels. No speed sensing on the rear hubs at all. So rather primative compared to modern ABS...

Not exactly.

The system has only two wheel sensors at the front but this doesn´t mean it only affects the front wheels.

The rear pressure is controlled via magnetic valves which are operated by the ABS ECU.

Rear brake pressure is calculated in relation to the "behaviour" of the pressure in the front lines.

Sign in to follow this