• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
huwjones

Mi16 Ecu's + Bhp Ratings

KRISKARRERA

It's really hard to tell whether or not it does turn off at high revs. At low revs you can feel the compressor take power away from the engine but at higher revs if I switch the a/c on and off it's less detectable.

Anthony
So when you had mine off the limiter it was for scientific purposes then :)

Moi? :)

Get an accurate rev counter and I might not hit the limiter by accident :P

Have to have a spin again when you get the new engine in to see what those Mi16x4 cams are like on a 1.6 'box....

huwjones

Wow! Loads of useful info! :)

I was thinking about the clearance issue last night, because the rad on this 309 seems to be in exactly the same position as another (non A/C) 309 I have, even though it has the A/C rad in front. There is an A/C pipe that might need re-routing though...

If I use a single width crank pulley, does that mean I can route the same belt around all parts, as opposed to using a separate aux belt and A/C belt?

Interesting about the ECU's, but I've just been to check the one I've take off the 4x4 and it is a 2 row '139' ECU.

Remember you need to tap the block and make an extension for the rear engine mount (I have a few spares ones if needed).

Am I glad you mentioned that?! Never knew there was a difference, although thinking about it now - it should have been obvious due to the trouble I had while stripping the engine and drivetrain!

Have to have a spin again when you get the new engine in to see what those Mi16x4 cams are like on a 1.6 'box....

Are you implying that the Mix4 had different cams to the others, or have you got modified ones?

Keep up the good work lads, you're saving me quite a few headaches here! Thanks!

Higgy

Apparently the exhaust cam is different to overcome the extra drain of powering the hydraulic system.

The cam pulley is marked 2 on the intake and 4 on the exhaust, where as on 2wd Mi's I believe they are marked 2 & 2.

Higgy

(I hope I rememberd that right :) )

huwjones

Really? That's handy. Should be some good gains for me then - the exhaust cam on mine had been timed wrong during a cambelt change. It was at least 1 tooth out :). That plus the exhaust cam should have the 309 flying again.

On a slightly different note, does anyone know if the 309 GTi16 exhaust manifold is worth getting hold of? Been looking at a couple on ebay.fr and was very tempted. Seems it'll be mighty close to the master cylinder though :P

Thanks again :)

Anthony
Apparently the exhaust cam is different to overcome the extra drain of powering the hydraulic system.

On the Mi16x4, both the inlet and exhaust cam are slightly longer duration (ie hotter) than standard. Certainly Higgy's engine sounded noticeably more cammy than a standard Mi and seemed to have a more noticeably surge as it came on-cam.

It's the BX 16v that has the different exhaust cam but the same inlet

KRISKARRERA

If I remember correctly the cam timing on the 4x4 is such that torque peaks higher in the revs?

Super Josh
If I use a single width crank pulley, does that mean I can route the same belt around all parts, as opposed to using a separate aux belt and A/C belt?

Yes, exactly that. One belt goes around the Crank, Compressor and Alternator.

On a slightly different note, does anyone know if the 309 GTi16 exhaust manifold is worth getting hold of? Been looking at a couple on ebay.fr and was very tempted. Seems it'll be mighty close to the master cylinder though :)

Left hand drive onlt, I believe. Due to the location of the RHD servo/master cylinder. As you've discoverd.

Josh

Sign in to follow this