• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Ant

1.6 Os Driveshaft ( Long One )

Ant

Came to put a new gator on my 1.6 shaft OS long one and noticed that where the two parts meet, there was no spring. Now on the 605 i stripped last week, i remember there being a spring between the two parts.

Had a look and the haynes, and i shows the spring on the base mondels, but i couldnt see any mention of a spring on the GTi models. Should there be a spring in there, and it hasnt been replaced at soe point in the past, or is it standard on GTis for no spring

Cheers.

jim21070

I take it you mean the "C" clip that goes into the groove near the end of the splines that slide into the CV joint.

Yes, yes and yes there shoud be a clip there. Often Grease Monkeys leave it out when doing a CV boot change as it is a lot easier to get the shaft back in the CV joint. TBH, it can be hard work to get the joint back together with the clip in place but it's essential.

My Xantia has exactly the same arrangement and one winter day last year I noticed my boot had split. It was cold and wet so I entrusted the job to our local fast-fit. A few days later I noticed a nasty grinding on left handers. I pulled the shaft apart and lo and behold, no clip. On left-handers the spline was pulling nearly all the way out of the joint and making the noise.

I fitted a new clip and vowed NEVER to let any of my cars ever see a fast-fit ever again. The though of the consequences of the joint coming apart at speed on a hard left-hander still leave me cold to this day..

steve@cornwall
Came to put a new gator on my 1.6 shaft OS long one and noticed that where the two parts meet, there was no spring. Now on the 605 i stripped last week, i remember there being a spring between the two parts.

Had a look and the haynes, and i shows the spring on the base mondels, but i couldnt see any mention of a spring on the GTi models. Should there be a spring in there, and it hasnt been replaced at soe point in the past, or is it standard on GTis for no spring

Cheers.

If you mean a coil spring of 4-5 coils, I've had some with and some without!

Beastie

Yes - you find some with and some without - but they should all have that spring otherwise there's nothing to keep the splines on the driveshaft fully engaged with the side gear of the differential. AFAIK the usual reason for no spring being present is because the last guy forgot to fit it!

Sign in to follow this