• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Jonmurgie

Tuned Mi16 - Which Spark Plugs?

Jonmurgie

Just been looking over the bits I have in my garage and realise I''ve got no spark plugs! Looking up it seems the standard plugs for an Mi16 are NGK BCP7ET, question is are they still the right plug to use for a pretty highly tuned Mi16?

I know with a turbo application you usually go a plug colder when modding but I'm not sure on N/A tuning...

Bono

I'm interested in this too, i currently run BKR6EIX iridium ones in mine as i was recommended a colder grade for the nitrous use.

But with the new engine i'm not sure whether to stay with those.

paul wicks

Jon, have a look here, its the best guide to spark plugs I have found.

http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/techinfo/spar...=31000&country=

generally i would go at least one grade colder i.e. 8, as you dont want to run a plug that gets too hot. I havent had any cold start issues running a coledr plug either. Its really a case of trial and error with a couple of sets and see what the engine runs best with. I use Champion single electrode plugs just because thats what seemed to work best and they are cheap. Definately err on the side of a colder plugs rather than a hot one.

A hot spark plug maintains a higher internal operating temperature to burn off oil and carbon deposits, and has no relationship to spark quality or intensity.

Conversely, a cold spark plug has a shorter insulator nose and absorbs more combustion chamber heat. This heat travels a shorter distance, and allows the plug to operate at a lower internal temperature. A colder heat range is necessary when the engine is modified for performance, subjected to heavy loads, or is run at a high rpm for a significant period of time. Colder spark plugs remove heat quicker, reducing the chance of pre-ignition/detonation. Failure to use a cooler heat range in a modified application can lead to spark plug failure and severe engine damage.

Daz_C

I'm using NGK BCP7EV and don't have any probs running with these. This site may be useful. Spark Plug Info

Guest ashnicholls

I thought I read somewhere that you only had to go to a colder plug if you have +100bhp increase. Anything below that you just use the standard plug, thats not my opinion, that just something I read.

James_R

I'm using BCR8ES's in my 2045cc Mi, although having a chat to mattsav about it, several "high power" Mi's are still running on std plugs fine, so really it's more of a suck it and see. Use std then if you run if you see they are too hot when you check them you can go down a heat range.

:)

Jonmurgie

Cool, will go with standards for now then... totally forgot to have a chat with Matt about it!

Sam

Probably a good move. My NGK race 9's were pretty costly :|

kutija

I was searching colder plugs for 405 T16 from EYQUEM and it seems that 1.9 Mi16 has colder plugs than 2.0 T16 ;) ...

1.9 Mi16 RFC62LS3

T16 RFC58LS3

Jonmurgie

Bumping back up... struggling to find somewhere decent to get these plugs (BCP7ET), anyone got somewhere I can buy online?

pacey205

Im pretty sure that Halfrauds sell them. If not I think GSF do as well.

Cant think of anywhere online tough I afraid.

Michael

Mongo

I actually found the single pronged node ones to be better than the three pronged node ones. I bought a 10 pack of both... the single node ones are the BCP7ES and this was on my mi16 running throttle bodies.

inferno

my BCP7ET's cost under 11 quid for 4 at moter parts...

Jonmurgie

Mongo - interesting that you found the ES better than the ET... don't suppose you have any left out of the 10 packs you bought?! :(

Jonmurgie

Having looked into it I'm going to go for the BCP7ES as PowerStation have them on the shelf and the only difference is the number of electrodes (singles, the T has tripple) and that only effect the servicable life of the plug, not the performance :P

Mongo

Sorry was working a long shift yesterday. Yeah i do have some spare and yes it was quite bizarre that i found the single better than the tripple, not any performance difference just in the running, it was not as happy at idle.

Drop me a pm if you are still after some.

Dream Weaver

Just found a place on eBay doing the BCP7ES for £1.39 each, plus £1.80 P&P for 4.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NGK-spark-plug-BCP7-...1QQcmdZViewItem

I've just ordered some from my local motor factors as I want them tomorrow, and they're £2.70 each + vat, but i'll use the eBay place in future. :ph34r:

Just ordered some as spares from the eBay place, so we'll see what the delivery/service is like B)

Only £7.36 for 4 posted. :P

DrSarty
Just found a place on eBay doing the BCP7ES for £1.39 each, plus £1.80 P&P for 4.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NGK-spark-plug-BCP7-...1QQcmdZViewItem

I've just ordered some from my local motor factors as I want them tomorrow, and they're £2.70 each + vat, but i'll use the eBay place in future. :)

Just ordered some as spares from the eBay place, so we'll see what the delivery/service is like :D

Only £7.36 for 4 posted. :D

Just followed this thread as it seems one of my new NGK triplers (the standard ones) was duff (most annoying) - I have a post on this 'Mi16 misfire'. LET US KNOW IF THE EGAY PLACE SERVES YOU WELL PLEASE.

Dr S :(

Dream Weaver

Yes they were fine.

I ordered them Friday and they arrived on Wednesday which is fine by me for the price. :lol:

Jonmurgie

What spark plug gap do people with mi's tend to run? The Haynes book of lies says 1.6mm but that seems MASSIVE to me?! I've just slung them in with the gap they came with, 0.8mm... anyone measured and re-set the gap to 1.6mm?

Dream Weaver

I just put them in, never bother measuring the gap. :)

welshpug

arent the bcp7es the standard 205 gti plugs? if they are (or theyre std Mi16 plugs) theyre cheap enough from gsf, £1.80 each IIRC.

Sign in to follow this