• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
bitchass 205

Rusty Sill

bitchass 205

Hi,

My n/s door sill is starting to go rusty where the sill/pillar meet. i have an mot coming up is this likely to fail? What is the best course of action to repair it? i shall try to get some pictures at lunch.

Cheers

bitchass 205

wow, i must be the only 205 owner to have rusty sills!!!!!! So is my car a duff one, one with paper sills!!!???

:D:lol:

jackherer
wow, i must be the only 205 owner to have rusty sills!!!!!! So is my car a duff one, one with paper sills!!!???

:D:lol:

is it E reg or earlier? They are much worse for rusting, due to not being galvanised as much.

bitchass 205

No its a late 88, august i think so it should have teh galvanised body. Theres no other rust that i can see. Although alot of dings!! :D

timmsy19

got any pics yet boy?? :P

bitchass 205

nah, not really a lot of point, doesn't look like anyones interested!

GLPoomobile

Ok, Ok, since nobody else has said anything relevant.....

How bad is the rust, as it sounds like the fairly common problem of the spot weld where the B pillar meets the sill coming apart and corrosion setting in. If it's just a bit of surface rust you can just try to grind it back and inspect the damage. If the spot weld has definately come apart then get a body shop to repair it before the problem multiplies.

If you do a search under Paintguy, he posted a topic on this about a year ago with some fairly nasty pictures of rot in behind this area.

bitchass 205

I think this is what has happened, i've checked the other side and the weld is perfect, no rust.

The crack which has gone rusty looks to be about 5mm wide i guess. I'll post some pictures away.

Cheers

bitchass 205
Ok, Ok, since nobody else has said anything relevant.....

How bad is the rust, as it sounds like the fairly common problem of the spot weld where the B pillar meets the sill coming apart and corrosion setting in. If it's just a bit of surface rust you can just try to grind it back and inspect the damage. If the spot weld has definately come apart then get a body shop to repair it before the problem multiplies.

If you do a search under Paintguy, he posted a topic on this about a year ago with some fairly nasty pictures of rot in behind this area.

Oh yes, mine is similar! :P

Greenys_meanies

Mine has rust on the sill going downwards from the b pillar

Paintguy
Oh yes, mine is similar! :blush:

Did your search sort you out, or can I help further?

bitchass 205
Did your search sort you out, or can I help further?

Well i saw your pictures when you where respraying you car, i'm still not sure what to do tbh. I meant to get pics this morning but forgot. I will definatly get some tonight. You help would be greatly apprciated! ;)

mattmk1
Well i saw your pictures when you where respraying you car, i'm still not sure what to do tbh. I meant to get pics this morning but forgot. I will definatly get some tonight. You help would be greatly apprciated! :)

Will need some pictures to see how bad it is, but normally if its holed it will fail the MOT. The inner sill is slightly different in that its likely to fail if its holed within 12 inches of the seat belt mouning point.

bitchass 205

Yes, i'm going to take a look this tonight and try to clean it up so i can see what is happening. i'll post some pictures tomorrow. :)

Thanks for your help so far.

Sign in to follow this