• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
mishu

1.6 Gti Gearbox On 1.1

mishu

Hello,

I was wondering whether I could fit the gearbox from a 1.6 GTi to my 1.1. What kind of change I should expect? I read the final drive ratio is bigger (~4.0 vs ~3.3 -- or similar), so that should help acceleration... what about the gear ratios?

Also, I'd like to take the gearbox apart, clean it, paint some Hammerite on it and change the oil before putting it back on.

So, related to the cleaning, can you tell me what you used on your DIY projects? I started a topic here related to cleaning (as it's not really in the engine/gearbox department).

Thanks,

mishu

bren_1.3

BE gearbox's dont fit TU engines. the gearbox on your 1.1 is an MA type gearbox. slightly pointless exercise. might as well get hold of a 1400 if your after more power.

mishu

I already have the 1.6 GTi and was wondering what else I could strip from it. Oh well... A friend of mine mentioned he has a gearbox from a 1.8 diesel 205 lying around.. would that be any good?

richsmells

The diesels have XU engines also. I think 205 XS has a fairly short ratio MA box as people with 205 rallyes (UK ones) often swap for these. Think the rallye box is fairly long. I might be talikng crap though.

mishu

I have the 205 GR (5 doors). I don't know what gearbox it has tho. I'll look into it sometime next week, when I start taking the car apart. Would it be possible (feasible) to swap a fear gears, if swapping the entire box is not an option? Reverse has been acting up lately...

christopher
The diesels have XU engines also. I think 205 XS has a fairly short ratio MA box as people with 205 rallyes (UK ones) often swap for these. Think the rallye box is fairly long. I might be talikng crap though.

You are right the UK Rallyes have longer ratios then the XS/Euro Rallye.. Ask Sam for details

Miles

No parts from the BE box are compatable with the MA one,

1.6, 1.9 petrol & Derv 205's run BE boxes

upto 1360 cc 205's run MA boxes

I think the XS box is the one you need

mishu

I see. I guess I'll have to look at my gearbox to see what condition it is in, and maybe order new parts for it...

I suppose it could also be the linkages making the gearbox act twitchy when engaging reverse, right? I'm changing those anyway (I can pretty much stir around with the gear lever), so might as well try that first...

Sign in to follow this