• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
MikeT

Mi16 Cooling Fan Woes

MikeT

Afternoon all, done a search but couldn't find out anything that may help here.

Ok, my 205 will not kick the fan in when it gets hot. I have replaced the sensor that screws into the radiator with a new one and when that failed to get the fan going I went and bought a new fan (Without even testing the old one... :blink: just finished fitting that after about 1 hour.. (YES I AM TOTALLY RUBBISH!!) and the ba%$d thing still does not spin.

What shall I do next ? Send the whole car to the crusher ?!?

Yep, I'm mighty pissed off with it this time! :D:o

Cheers

Mike

Ryan

Make sure all the electrical connections are in place. It gets a 12v feed from the little fusebox on the slam panel, and is earthed to the headlight iirc. Also check that the fan speed resistor isn't burnt out.

Veero

Easy test to see if the fan works.

Take the plug off the resistor that plugs into the rad and short out pairs of connections with a pair of hefty insulated handl;e long nose pliers. Different combos of pins will make it work at different speeds.

Sounds bodge but if you think about it that's exactly what the resistir does.

If this makes it work you may have a dodgy connection to the resistor, if it doesn't work then the electrical problem lies somewhere else...

Veero

Edp

The resistor is probably fukced, the fan on my Mi only comes on slow. I dont mind as i have a switched fan next to it which comes on full rice. I'm going to make a bespoke loom with both fans having new resistors and both being either switched via the radiator or my switch in the car.

Where can we get the new resistors other than peugeot itself after 10 years of getting boiling hot and freezing cold it cant do them any favours.

MikeT

Thanks for your replies, sorry to be dim but where is the fan speed resistor? Is this the same as the screw in temp sensor in the radiator? If so thats already been replaced with a new item - I'll give the fan test a go and see if I can find a multimeter to check for the 12v.

Cheers,

Mike

Edited by MikeT

Man3

Its one of the silver cylindrical things with 2 wires coming out of it. There should be 2, one below the headlight and one thats usually clipped to the top of the rad (i think this is the one for the fan)

MikeT
Its one of the silver cylindrical things with 2 wires coming out of it. There should be 2, one below the headlight and one thats usually clipped to the top of the rad (i think this is the one for the fan)

The only one I can find simlar to what you describe is clipped into the inner wing low down, I unplugged the connector and the connections (3 pins) were covered in muck / water. Is this the fan speed resistor?

Picture

Sorry if its a bit crap quality - it was taken with my mobile phone.

Ryan

Thats certainly the right thing, but as said there should be 2 of them.

Can you see the wire numbers going into the plug?

50/50B will be the fan resistor

A1/A2 will be the for headlight

Ren

The earth for the fan is to the side of the passenger headlight, there is normally 2 plugs here, the first does all the lights, horn, washer etc and the second is fan only, check all the contacts on here are clean and pushed firmly on. My earth block worked loose and didn't work for a while.

MikeT
The earth for the fan is to the side of the passenger headlight, there is normally 2 plugs here, the first does all the lights, horn, washer etc and the second is fan only, check all the contacts on here are clean and pushed firmly on. My earth block worked loose and didn't work for a while.

Many thanks for that Ill go and have a look -

still cant find this second cylindrical resistor anywhere!? There is no labelling that matches either of those codes on the plug itself, the wires or the silver cylinder it plugs into :lol:

Simes

Cleaning the earths up is a good idea anyway - cut the ends off, disguard the yellow earthing block, remake the ends with ring terminals and bolt back onto the same stud.

Around that headlamp area should be a brown terminal block with three wires going into it and it not connected to anything. Bridge two of these cables and it will test both speeds of the fan.

MikeT

Sorry to keep this thread still running but Im not getting anywhere and need some more help!

Ryan, I had another look at the wires going into the sliver cylindrical shaped device with the three pins and one wire is labelled 533 I think, & the other is labelled 5B or 53 or 58 (Can't make it out) - god knows how I missed them yesterday.

Do you think this is the fan speed resistor? I just popped up my local parts place, showed him it and they reckoned it would be a main dealer part only.

If you think this is the resistor, does anyone know the Peugeot part number as I don't have the parts CD.

I have had a look around the passenger headlight area to see if I can find the earth block/connections as mentioned and couldn't see that either :D There is a small fuse box screwed onto the underside of my AFM which has two white fuses in (marked 25) but it looks like there is space for - another 2 - There was a yellow connector block with 2 wires coming out behind the passenger light but I have no idea what this is for either..

Heres some pics incase it helps:

pic 1

pic 2

pic 3

Thanks

Mike

MikeT

Anyone? :D

I have had a look through the online parts cd and cannot find this 3 pin cylindrical resistor mentioned anywhere and I'm running out of ideas now so I think I'll just replace it and see if that fixes it.

Does anyone know the Peugeot part number so I can order one up? I just had a look on Autofives website and they don't list it - tried GSF and Eurocar parts but no joy.

Thanks

Mike

Ryan

Sorry I was mis-reading the numbers on the wiring digrams. 58 and 58B are for the fan resistor, which I'm guessing is the ones you've found.

The part number for the resistor is 1267 12. Autofive might have them. Their site isn't very good TBH and they can get a lot of parts that they don't list.

Before buying a new one try unplugging the resistor and shorting together the 2 pins in the plug. When the engine comes up to temp then the fan should come on at full speed. If not then the problem isn't with the resistor.

MikeT
Sorry I was mis-reading the numbers on the wiring digrams. 58 and 58B are for the fan resistor, which I'm guessing is the ones you've found.

The part number for the resistor is 1267 12. Autofive might have them. Their site isn't very good TBH and they can get a lot of parts that they don't list.

Before buying a new one try unplugging the resistor and shorting together the 2 pins in the plug. When the engine comes up to temp then the fan should come on at full speed. If not then the problem isn't with the resistor.

Hi Ryan

Thankyou so much for that information - I have been looking everywhere for the part number, quick question though - you said try shorting the two pins in the plug but there are three pins in the brown plug - which two do I short?

Thanks again

Mike

Ryan

Although it's a 3-pin plug mine only has 2 wires going to it.

MikeT
Although it's a 3-pin plug mine only has 2 wires going to it.

Yes sorry looking at it that is such a stupid question :D:P I have just been out and bridged the wires for the resistor and left the car idling, the temp gauge got to the second but last marker and then the fan kicked in (you'd have thought I'd just won the lottery from my reaction :D ) full blast sending the temp back down to the third marker. Shouldnt the fan kick in a bit earlier at a slower speed and then go into high speed when it gets hotter? Does this really matter though?

Ryan your a star - thanks alot, thanks also everyone else that helped me on this. Another great result from all you helpful forum members :)

Right - time to phone pug / autofive and get the cost of this resistor..

Thanks again!

Mike

Edited by MikeT

Simes

My Mi does the same but the fan eventually kicks in and it's fine - I spent a couple of weeks driving up the alps last year with the ambient temp being 35 deg, never overheated.

Higgy

Ha Ha :)

Mine packed up while getting stuck in traffic on Friday (2hr journey turned into 6hr!!).

A breakdown guy who pulled over to check his map asked me if I needed help, after telling him about the fan he instantly made up a bridge wire straight into the plug. Bing! fan on all the time.

Currently I've gone one bodge better and have rigged up a switch inside the car to turn the fan on.

I think I little trip to the scrappy to grab a load of radiator resistors is in order :)

Although I prefer the idea of being able to switch on the fan yourself. I'm always looking at the gauges (is oil pressure ok etc!) so manually switching the fan on is no real hardship.

Just need to check the amp requirements of the switch and wire.

Higgy.

Sign in to follow this