• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Pug_101

Speedlines Or Not?

Pug_101

I've heard all sorts of differing opinions on how to tell a speedline from the other makes mainly SMR such as weight (hard to do with tyres on), rim lip size etc..

I have three different types of wheels on my car so would like to get a definitive answer on how to tell one wheel from the other.

I have noticed a number of cast marking between the spokes and have also noticed that these can be in different positions relative to the tyre valve, is this a way of telling which wheel?

Some help on this, please

tagy

speedlines should have speedline stamped into them.

Rob_the_Sparky

And the lettering is recessed rather than raised

Ryan

Speedlines will say "Italy" on them. The SMR was made in france.

hengti

not really adding anything here (as Rob's already made the point) - but the quickest way to tell is that the Italian Speedline originals have recessed lettering and the French copy have raised lettering - you can tell with a glance

TEKNOPUG

The "Speedline" and "SMR" stamp is a bit of a clue :)

Phil H

put your finger through one of the holes on the outer and if you can feel a lip...it's a Speedline...try it !

Rob_the_Sparky
Speedlines will say "Italy" on them. The SMR was made in france.

Belgian SMRs are also out there (if somewhat rarer)

Pug_101

Not so hard after all then B)

I have 2 SMR's that are quite different.

The first one is what I would call standard SMR:

pic

and the second is quite different with a very thin lip on the wheel, anyone know why is it a SMR or not and if it is whats it from or has someone modified the whell this way?

pic

Sorry for the dirty wheels :blush: & poor photos.

Thanks

(edit: pics too large, see posting guidelines)

Edited by jackherer

roland rat

just buy mine off me and stop worring :blush: haha B)

Pug_101
just buy mine off me and stop worring B) haha :D

Stop worring yourself :D , sent you PM.

Still interested in above anyone :blush:

Dino

Who cares if they are Speedlines or SMRS?!

They both look the same ffs! so SMRS weigh just that tiny bit more - will it really make ANY difference at all!?

Edited by Dino

Pug_101

They both look the same ffs! so SMRS weigh just that tiny bit more - will it really make ANY difference at all!?

Well 2 of my SMR don't look the same, I know the photos aren't great :blush:

Baz

Aren't the speedlines about 1kg lighter? which is a fair chunk given that the total weight of each wheel is around 7-8kgs(?), has to make a small difference, especially as unsprung weight. But still, i get you're point! :lol:

Just to add, that thin lip looks like it may have possibly been machined before and painted over etc, Diamond cut examples are different in shape in places, obviously where metal has been machined away etc.

Edited by BazGTMi

Dino

I have both SMRs and Speedlines and the SMRs *seem* to last longer than the Speedlines after they have both been refurbed but then that could just be a coincidence.

hd_andy

SMRs dont fit over my big brake kit!

jackherer
SMRs dont fit over my big brake kit!

theres more to it than that, I've got loads of 1.9 alloys (30+) some are SMRs and some are Speedlines and some examples of both types are too tight on big brakes whereas others are fine, its nothing to do with make, they both vary loads.

(edit: theres no point sending me PMs asking to buy wheels btw, just because I've got lots doesnt mean they are for sale)

Edited by jackherer

TEKNOPUG

Speedlines look better - definitely

j-16

30 x 1.9 alloys, christ!!

When stripping down by hand the SMR seems to have far more primer/paint/laquer which is very difficult to strip right back compared to the speedlines so maybe thats the reason why they seem to last longer?

hengti

I think the Speedlines look better too

my road set are Speedlines whilst my track wheels are copies - can't tell any difference in whatever effect they might have on unsprung weight - it's purely a cosmetic thing really

Baz

Well, if you really look at them there is tiny differences, the angles on the curves just before the bolt holes, and the spacing between the bolt holes and the centre-holes for example.

Oh, and before anyone calls me sad or wants have me sectioned, i've only studied them closely and noticed because i've been rubbing down/polishing alot of both versions recently!!

How rare are Belgian SMR's then?? I have a few out of the god knows how many i have!!

Edited by BazGTMi

Pug_101
pic

Sorry for the dirty wheels :unsure: & poor photos.

Thanks

(edit: pics too large, see posting guidelines)

Sorry, but diamentions are larger, but only 37K file size. Is that not allowed.

Do pictures have to conform to both rules? or is one rule ok as I guess it's to do with bandwidth.

No one got a slim lip SMR then ?

Had a good look at it and I don't think it been altered by anyone.

Have reduced size anyway.

LWZSC-DSCN0790.JPG

jackherer
Do pictures have to conform to both rules? or is one rule ok as I guess it's to do with bandwidth.

pics have to be less than 700px wide to avoid causing layout issues, so thats a seperate problem to file size which as you say is for bandwith reasons.

- if the width of an image is greater than about 600-700 pixels, put up just a link

without IMG tags

- the same goes for pics that are bigger than about 80-100k in filesize

- if you are showing off your car from several angles, use IMG tags only on first

couple of pics and link the others but if your showing a progress of some work or

something technical, you can use IMG tags on all the pics, providing the pics are

pretty much different

moonas
No one got a slim lip SMR then ?

I do.

Pug_101
pics have to be less than 700px wide to avoid causing layout issues, so thats a seperate problem to file size which as you say is for bandwith reasons.

OK

I do.

Great

Is it exactlly the same as mine, got a photo?

The slimline (as I have now named it :lol: , yes I know it's a SMR) looks very good to me.

Made in France by the way.

So what year/model etc have these come from? :D

Sign in to follow this