• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
inferno

Another Bike Carbs Question

inferno

lets forget bogg bros for a moment, as they want to sell me r1 carbs and an expensive inlet mainifold!

the inlets on the 1.6gti head are 35mm square

the carbs are 35mm diameter with a butterfly in each.

are these carbs likely to choke the engines breathing, or would i get away with using them?

how should i design the manifold for max tourque/bhp combo, assuming ill make any gains at all?

does anyone have pics of bogg bros work?

also im guessing having PAS my alternater will be in the way so i may need a homebrew manifold...

DTORU

dont bother run a set of webbers, set up right its all the fueling youll need.

inferno

unfortunatly i dont have webbers and only have these carbs... i dont intend keeping the engine in long either so just wanna mess about with...

Guest ashnicholls

how can they be restrictive, if you but smaller chokes that 35mm in weber carbs for a 1.6?????????

PumaRacing

35mm carbs with butterflies (assuming they have venturies and other stuff in the airstream) would only be ok up to about mid 120s bhp. Too small for even a 1.6. 35mm TB's or slide throttle carbs would go maybe 150 bhp. Carb sizing info is on my website.

dodsworth_gti

though r1 carbs were 40 mm???

or have i read it wrong some where

bogg bross work to mine (excuse the mass of sealent,its not there now!!)

DCP_1459.jpg

DCP_1458.jpg

DCP_1456.jpg

Cameron

I thought 35mm bike carbs were about right for a 1.6? A mate bought a set for his 16v 106. Bike carbs dont have any chokes or venturis in the airstream, they are variable venturi (i think thats the right term) so surely it should be fine.

Edited by Cameron

inferno

i think your refering to flat slide carbs... the ones i have actually do have butterflies in them so might choke the engine. might look for some r1's though, that manifold doesnt seem to reflect the price you probably paid :S

i may produce a few myself;)

Cameron

Yeah they have butterflies.. but they also have pistons and needle valves right? no actual venturis or chokes like in webbers. :blush:

taffycrook

35mm bike carbs will allow about 170 bhp if they are jetted correctly.

They have a constant velocity design much like a SU carb.

There is no choke so a 35 mm bike carb flows similar amounts to a 45 dcoe with a 35 mm choke, which is more than a 40 dcoe.

Cost has to be a factor because there are plenty of manifolds available 2nd hand and the carbs are now much more realistic in price too.

I paid less than £150 for a set complete with manifold not long ago and they work very well, btw it included the air filters.

inferno

nice... i wish i knew this a week ago! ill be making a manifold up tomorow i think!

my carbs are the same as a 35mm choke webber then for flow rate, they use pistons yes, any idears on jet sizes? i doubt ill get more than 125bhp realisticly on the 1.6. also whats the crack with fuel? should i run a carb pump on the dizzy end like a normal 1.6? or double regulaters on the gti fuel pump? either way can i have a diagram or detailed instructions please?!

dodsworth_gti

mines only got a single regulator on it!!

Cameron

Definately definately get a facet redtop pump and a filter king filter/fuel pressure regulator. Its easy to put the facet pump in and you only need one reg which makes everything a whole lot less complicated. A mate has been trying to get his to work on injection pressure using 2 regulators and has had nothing but trouble with it. Mainly because he was a bit of a monkey :) but anyway.. You can get a redtop and filter king through ebay for about 30-50 quid. not too shabby. :)

inferno

it didnt happen! the alternators in the way of any manifold i try to make a model of!

Guest BrainFluid

Man if this is your 1.6 engine while its got low miles and a full service history before you go fecking about with it and potentialy putting it through work it isnt used to...

Sell it while its good and you know it hasnt been fecked with if your not holding onto it!

:)

dodsworth_gti
Definately definately get a facet redtop pump and a filter king filter/fuel pressure regulator. Its easy to put the facet pump in and you only need one reg which makes everything a whole lot less complicated. A mate has been trying to get his to work on injection pressure using 2 regulators and has had nothing but trouble with it. Mainly because he was a bit of a monkey :blink: but anyway.. You can get a redtop and filter king through ebay for about 30-50 quid. not too shabby. :D

why does mine run nicely then,infact,its slightly over fueling which need setting up on the rollers again,bogg bros said i didnt need one at all,maybe the only thing wrong with running a standard pump is that it might be slightly strained,nothing else,they just put a beast fuel reg on it!!

inferno
Man if this is your 1.6 engine while its got low miles and a full service history before you go fecking about with it and potentialy putting it through work it isnt used to...

Sell it while its good and you know it hasnt been fecked with if your not holding onto it!

:blink:

this engine is in fact a recon now covered around 700 miles!

its coming out though for an mi16 in its place as mentioned a thousand times...

Cameron

Well im not saying it will run badly, i know that they have the potential to run just aswell! Its just for the money you can get a facet pump and filter king.

Sign in to follow this