• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
inferno

What Brake Upgrade From Standard 1.6 Abs Setup

inferno

as i dont normally drive 1.6s ive always had good brake setups on bigger moters.

untill today i havent really opened the car up, but when i did i had brake fade bad, slowing from 90 on a private road, by the time i hit 40mph there was no braking effort at all!

brakes returned to normal shortly afterwards.

so what brakes combination will fit under 14 inch wheels on this abs model? ( i dont know if abs will make any difference to choice of brakes, other than a rear disc beam.

or will i need 15 inch wheels?

then what brake options will i have?

what setups are on your cars, and did u try any combinations that didnt work.

Miles

Nothing wrong with the 1.6 set up, I bet you've got Halfordws pads or something cheap in there, Get some Pagid RS4's and brake fade will be a thing of the past

inferno

where do i get those from?! TBH it looks like im likely to have pugs own or moterparts ferrodos... will investigate soon <_<

Baz

The 1.6 brakes are just fine, plus you benefit from the lighter Bendix alloy callipers i believe.

If you wanted to go to anything remotely bigger, eg. 1.9/306/307 stuff etc you'd have to change hubs, which means shafts etc too remember.

inferno
The 1.6 brakes are just fine, plus you benefit from the lighter Bendix alloy callipers i believe.

If you wanted to go to anything remotely bigger, eg. 1.9/306/307 stuff etc you'd have to change hubs, which means shafts etc too remember.

well my brakes are sharp, but prolonged braking induces brake fade. so im guessing there not upto the job.

in what way would i benifit having lighter bendix calipers? heat disipitation?

without looking i dont know, but surely i can machine the hubs to keep the existing 1.6 shafts and hubs and essentially the abs cv joints?

has any1 tried bx shafts on 1.9 hubs n 309 bones yet?

max0
well my brakes are sharp, but prolonged braking induces brake fade. so im guessing there not upto the job.

without looking i dont know, but surely i can machine the hubs to keep the existing 1.6 shafts and hubs and essentially the abs cv joints?

has any1 tried bx shafts on 1.9 hubs n 309 bones yet?

How old is the brake fluid? Would be a idea to replace that first, bleed it well n check over the pads/shoes/sliders before buying new calipers/discs/drive shafts etc

Edited by max0

jackherer

in theory better handling due to lower unsprung weight, in practice they are more prone to failure due to their design which far outweighs any weight benefit.

inferno

lightwieght on an aircon car doesnt really work... <_<

roland rat

best thing to do imo is overhaul the current brake system with new fuild hoses lines and uprate the discs and pads.if your still not happy then fit 1.9 hubs and 307 callipers as these have transformed my 205 and i cant rate them highly enough!!! :lol:

Miles

As the car's got ABS, I believe it run's 1.9 front hub's and shafts, So most caliper upgrades will apply. It might even have the 1.9 calipers already

inferno

IIRC 14 inch wheels wont fit on 1.9 calipers? im beig lazy and too drunk now to have a look... so ill check tomorow and yes the fluid is old so i thinkk its major service time!

jackherer
IIRC 14 inch wheels wont fit on 1.9 calipers?

no, they fit fine. 1.6 and 1.9 brakes are the same size pretty much.

jonnie205

All abs 205's have 1.9 hubs and shafts

Baz
lightwieght on an aircon car doesnt really work... :D

:D It does in the case of anything 'Unsprung' :blink:

inferno

ok well ive decided yes it does have 1.9 brakes upfront... so im guessing id like to see what conversions your've done on your 1.9 hubs for bigger brakes?

nothing OTT though, i dont want it to interfere with the ABS, and i dont want to have bigger than 15inch speedlines.

for now ill uprate just the pads, ive found an invoice for main dealer fitted pads! but no fluid changes, so i will be doing that this week too. normall pug branded fluid ok or is there something better but not too extreme? i doubt ill be tracking the car that often, if at all

Baz

266m discs and calipers from a 306HDi/ZX16v etc, or bigger still, 206 GTi180 283mm(?) set up.

Alastairh

Just give the system fresh fluid and decent pads and discs if there worn, and that will be enough.

jonah

Also bear in mind that all pads fade the first time you get them hot... so if they've never been worked hard before it could just be that. Standard pads ought to be fine for road use.

Sign in to follow this