• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest smokinslim

Cam Belt Tensioner

Guest smokinslim

Can anyone give me any pointers for assessing the condition of the cam belt tensioner on my engine. I'm replacing the water pump in the next few days, and whilst it's still in good condition the cam belt is overdue really so i'm going to replace that also. If the tensioner is obviously past it then i'll replace it too. I've not looked at it all yet but a local (independant) citroen/peugeot place i've spoken to said that the tensioners on these rarely need attention. Unfortunately money's an issue in this and the tensioner adds to my costs quite a bit but i don't want to take what this guy said for granted and risk it, i'd rather investigate it properly to be on the safe side.

sonofsam

maybe check the spring and backing plate, however for the sake of 30 quid i'd fit a new one, just to be on the safe side.

trogboy

TU tensioners don't have a spring. They are basically a cyliner of metal with a sleve around the outside which spins on a set of needle bearings. The mounting hole is drilled off centre so that you can rotate the tensioner to push it into the belt and add tension.

I am under the impression that these are just about the only part of the TU engines that fail catastrophically. If you look in any scrapyard you'll see the majority of all the TU engined cars in there baecause of the engine will be there because the tensioner failed. When this happens (the outer sleve slides off the inner) and the pistons come together with the valves. I've even seen it on a TU3S engine with 46k on the clock!

For my money it is even more important to replace than the water pump.

Ad

sonofsam

Whoops that'l teach me for entering the TU zone.Sorry Slim.

Buddy of mine's VTS failed on the tensioner a couple of months ago, big bill ! and some bented valves.

Guest smokinslim

No prob Sonofsam. I consulted haynes after posting earlier, brief info and a few pics - quite a good one of the tensioner. What you say makes sense, i'd be surprised if the tensioner's still good as i have records of previous belt changes but they don't mention it. Like i say i haven't had a look yet, but concensus on the suspicious new noises is either the water pump or tensioner, and i have the pump already. I've found both belts and belt kits at good prices, so i'll get the kit. Thanks for the help guys.

Guest smokinslim

Heh Heh, just had a look :) how lucky do i feel right now! The tensioner's been held together by the intermediate cover. At least the Peugeot are good at making plastic lol!

trogboy

That's more than lucky!

Edited by trogboy

Sign in to follow this