• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
jamesc

Failed Mot... For The 3rd Time This Week!

jamesc

My 93 k 1.9 was mot'd monday and failed when a rear copper hose split, they replaced both sides up to the front and on the re test it blew another (old hose) on the third test this morning the flexi brake hose over the torsion bar has split..

Question is:-

*Do you think something more serious is wrong, rather than just being unlucky and having s*ite perished hoses?

*Where can i get these flexi hoses, not the ones from the caliper although i'll do them at the same time but the ones that go over the torsion bar?

Ryan

You can buy the hoses individually from www.brakeparts.co.uk.

Russelltp

I picked mine up from GSF, they were listed as pipes for 309 with drums and have this part number T65708. GSF have got their listing wrong as the packet said 205 1.9 gti/cti on it.

Edited by Russelltp

Anthony
GSF have got their listing wrong

Really? Corr - we've never heard of that below now, have we... -_-

pug_ham

If the brake flexi's are that bad, how come they didn't notice when they were replacing the copper pipe?

Graham.

jamesc

I have no idea..

What should they test it up to on the brake rollers?

Prob going to buy a full set of goodridge, at least it's all done then.

Baz

IIRC they're a pass if the guage goes up to 150 each side on the brake rollers, although that could be the fronts!! -if thats what you meant?

inferno
If the brake flexi's are that bad, how come they didn't notice when they were replacing the copper pipe?

Graham.

ill second this, as brake pipes are an easy earner for most mot stations, they would normally want to change the whole run where possible, esp if it must of shown signs of prerishing on the flexies.

but then it could just be one of those things, like the handbrake cable on my moter breaking the day it was motd!

unless they were lazy and didnt fancy having to repair a caliper bleed screw if it snapped?

Id suggest having a good look over it again after the mot yourself, or a freind whos knowledgable to see weather theres anything else they have missed?

pug_ham
unless they were lazy and didnt fancy having to repair a caliper bleed screw if it snapped?

Wouldn't that just be an extra few ££'s for them by fitting a new caliper? Then again you can bleed them through the hoses, not over effective but it does work with practice.

Anyway, you have to bleed the brakes anytime after breaking the system down so they'd already done it once for the pipe they replaced to start with.

Graham.

pugrallye

sounds a bit 'magical' for flexi hoses to suddenly pop on the brake rollers, unless you have never previously had any heavy braking incidents in it

Rob_the_Sparky

Does sound a bit fishy. If they were bad enough to blow then they should have noticed first time (imagine that happening on the road) through the MOT unless someone damaged them when replacing the solid pipe....

Rob

kman1600

Hi,

Over here in Northern Ireland the MOT stations are Government run and independent of any garage so there is no incentive for the tester to find things wrong with your car. This lack of impartiality in the mainland MOT system makes me prefer our system (in principle). That said it can be frustrating at times especially if the simplest of faults, like a blow bulb, that earns youre a fail and waiting list have in passed been a bit of an issue but theyve come a long way toward fixing that now.

Tim

jacobs53

Have you actually seen the car on the brake tester? I personally think they are taking you for a ride, I can justify 2 hoses being corrioded but exploding on different days??? No i'd walk away from there, I have access to a brake tester, and I always test the brakes until the road wheels lock up... And I have never ever heard of any pipes failing during operation, unless there already corrioded to hell- then he should of noticed before the testing procedure

WALK AWAY! you are being taken for a fool...

lee

hengti

presumably this has cost you about £40 a test - ?

it is odd that you should keep blowing hoses - I've always noticed my brake pedal is harder than normal after it's been for an MoT, so maybe they do give it more of a workout than you might normally

if you're being charged for each test, maybe ask them if they'll be reasonable and only charge you the one test fee - ? no harm in asking

Sign in to follow this