• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
trogboy

1.6 Or 1.9 Discs Required?

trogboy

Hey all,

I have just been trying to change the hubs on my car back to base model hubs but have run into a problem. Currently I run the complete 1.6 gti setup on the front (callipers, hub and disks) but I want to pull the wheels back under the arch a bit.

I was under the impression that I would be able to marry up the 1.6 disks with the base model hubs and 1.9 callipers, however, having just tried it is clear that the offset on the 1.6 disks it too great as they foul the calliper mounting points on the hub. To sit square on the hub they would need about another 5mm of clearance so it is not just a bit of light grinding required.

A search on here just now has suggests that it is possible to use this combo but several posts also mention that you have to use the 1.9 disks and callipers on the base model hubs.

Can anyone confirm a combination that will definitely work before I splash the cash on a new set of disks?

Cheers,

Ad

Greenys_meanies

why would you want to put the wheels further under the arches?

trogboy
why would you want to put the wheels further under the arches?

I'm running 106 rallye S2 steelies on my current set up which means that the wheels and tyres protrude from the arches by approx 20mm. Whilst it looks quite cool from the front it is causing quite heavy stone chip damage to the front of the rear quarter pannels (by the B-post). I don't want to fit arch extensions like the Euro Rallye as I want to keep my original decals over the rear wing and i don't want non-standard mudguards either.

The other reason for the change is that my 1.6 calipers are a little worn and allow the pad to move slightly in the calliper. Hence when I have been reversing and start to brake I get an annoying clunk as the pads shift in the calliper. 1.9 callipers are supposed to be much better in this respect as due to their design they don't really wear in the same way.

Added to this is the vast scope for further brakes upgrades if you are using 1.9 callipers versus the very limited scope if you are using the 1.6 callipers/hubs and it just seemed a good decision all round.

Anthony

It's 1.9 disks you need with base model hubs. You can use either 1.6 or 1.9 calipers.

trogboy

Cheers Anthony :blush:

Sign in to follow this