• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
matty_gti

Wheel Sizes 14"-17" Chrome!

matty_gti

hi, i have a 1.6 gti, it had the standerd 14" pepper pot alloys on it and ive now got 17" chrome on it (205/40/17). im just wondering about the speed reading on the clock and actual speed and if there is a way to figure it out?, dont wanna get cought speeding :unsure:

ChEeRs

hexhamstu

*sigh* i hope this is a joke

matty_gti

No joke, im as serious as a heart attack!!!

Guest CB-Dave

it will be purely waxa man like hooooo

you won't be caught speeding cos you'll be driving slow to let all 'da' honeyz see your blinged up ride, and most likely by the end of the week drowning in various flavours of 16 year old pussy...

personally tho I wouldn't worry about speeding because the extra unsprung weight caused by the wheels would stop a 1.6 from reaching more than walking pace...

(if this is a genuine serious question though, have a look for "The Wheel and Tyre Bible" - it has a calculator on that says roughly what the error percentage is, I'd guess that cos they're bigger you'll be going slower and as such 30 on the clock will more likely be 25 in real life...

max0

get a mate to drive infront at a steady 30, 40 and 70 and see how far out it is?

matty_gti

HAHAHAHAHAHA, i do drive pretty slow past ppl :unsure: , but it doesnt hang about......if ppl wanna race i touch the pedal 'n' its gone.

i just want to know if there are any sums and stuff that can give me an exact answer..........

ThAnKs

Guest smokinslim

How accurate is your speedo with the standard 1.6 rims? just to add a further twist :unsure:

matty_gti

errr you got me on that one, i have no idea, hopefully its near correct. :unsure:

mi16nut
HAHAHAHAHAHA, i do drive pretty slow past ppl , but it doesnt hang about......if ppl wanna race i touch the pedal 'n' its gone.

Are you old enough to drive?

matty_gti

I am indeed.....ARE YOU?????

matty_gti

Cheers tom, thanks for the link. At least your not a plank that just says:

Are you old enough to drive?
:blush:

aeinstein

on my way to work i have to pass 2 signs that read your speed back to you, one in a 30 and one in a 40, my audi does 30 'police' mph at an indicated 33 mph on my dashboard, and 40 mph at indicated 44mph, so its about 10% out, that means on a motorway, i can sit at between 75 and 80, without fear of the police interfering with my progress.

you need to find yourself one of these speed signpost things, cos they are more accurate than any car, least of all a 205!

that will tell you what speeds you can do according to your speedo, and what speed you are really likely to be doing.

btw, the best wheels to put on a 205 gti are speedlines. but enjoy the chrome anyway :blush:

al

Guest CB-Dave
HAHAHAHAHAHA, i do drive pretty slow past ppl :lol: , but it doesnt hang about......if ppl wanna race i touch the pedal 'n' its gone.

it's a 1.6, not a BAe Tornado...

Edited by CB-Dave

Rob Turbo
on my way to work i have to pass 2 signs that read your speed back to you, one in a 30 and one in a 40, my audi does 30 'police' mph at an indicated 33 mph on my dashboard, and 40 mph at indicated 44mph, so its about 10% out, that means on a motorway, i can sit at between 75 and 80, without fear of the police interfering with my progress.

you need to find yourself one of these speed signpost things, cos they are more accurate than any car, least of all a 205!

that will tell you what speeds you can do according to your speedo, and what speed you are really likely to be doing.

btw, the best wheels to put on a 205 gti are speedlines. but enjoy the chrome anyway :lol:

al

Are you sure these are the ones that tell you your speed? We used to get them up here but now they have been replaced with ones that just show you the speed limit if you are going over it, i.e. you could do 70 past one in a 30 limit and it would flash 30 at you

jackherer
Are you sure these are the ones that tell you your speed? We used to get them up here but now they have been replaced with ones that just show you the speed limit if you are going over it, i.e. you could do 70 past one in a 30 limit and it would flash 30 at you

I've seen ones that tell you your exact speed, but only at temporary restrictions like roadworks.

I've also seen ones that flash a :lol: at you alternating with the speed limit if you are below it. This made me think it would probably behave differently if you went over the limit so of course the next time I went that way I went a bit faster and sure enough the sign flashed :P at me!

hexhamstu

theres a few of the actual speed ones near me, theres 2 in the centre of newcastle, near northumbria uni and another one in a village not far from me.

Hilgie

@matty: do you have pics of your car?

Bono
I've seen ones that tell you your exact speed, but only at temporary restrictions like roadworks.

I've also seen ones that flash a :) at you alternating with the speed limit if you are below it. This made me think it would probably behave differently if you went over the limit so of course the next time I went that way I went a bit faster and sure enough the sign flashed :( at me!

We have those in Suffolk, it was the 'Make sid smile campaign' :)

I think the signs that tell you the exact speed were withdrawn as it ended up causing people to see how fast they could actually get the sign to read and whether it would be higher than thier mates speed :D

Have you thought of trying a GPS thingy, they often tell you the speed on them?

Sign in to follow this