• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
jackherer

Bremtech Master Cylinder

jackherer

I'm very close to MOTing my 205 but each time I solve one problem another one appears, its starting to properly drive me mad now :unsure:^_^

The brakes are the only thing left but I've had a series of problems with them including a bent caliper mount on the rear trailing arm (thanks to Jonnie205 for getting that one sorted).

The last problem was a creaking, sticking pedal. Firstly I changed the master cylinder which solved the sticking but not the creaking. After much investigation I was about to swap the servo when I decided to try tightening it to the bulkhead first, thankfully the nuts were pretty loose and this has fully stopped the creaking so all is well.

Or so I thought until I looked under the bonnet and discovered that the reservoir is now leaking brake fluid from its two seals where it connects to the master cylinder. The m/c was brand new from Brakes International, its made by a company called Bremtech and it looks like Brakes International are the sole UK distributor for them, the design of it is similar to the Peugeot one but you can tell its a pattern part. It looks like the seals aren't up to the job unless I damaged them when I fitted the res, when I can face it again I will drain the res and take a look at the seals. Has anyone successfully fitted a Bremtech m/c? (the standard 1.9 GTI one)

Simes

I've just fitted one from Brake part I also fitted a brand new pug resevoir. No leakage so far.

jackherer

now I come to think about it I used a spare reservoir rather than the original so there could have been something broken on it that I didnt notice.

TEKNOPUG

So do we think that the Bremtech one is satisfactory? I need to oreder another one today and not sure whethe to go through GSF or Brakeparts

jackherer

what make is the GSF one and whats the price difference?

the Bremtech one looks like a cheap pattern part with some pretty rough machining etc, I'd go for an alternative unless the price difference was huge.

TEKNOPUG

No real difference in price. £25.50 + VAT for the BMC4074 Bremtech one.

£28.50 for the T65212 BRAKE MASTER CYL-20.6mm 205 from GSF. However, they also list another one: T65212A BRAKE MAS CYL-20.6mm 205 19mm for £18?!

I presume that it's the first (most expensive) GSF one I should order?

Gotta love Brakeparts website though - doesn't list a 405T16 model, instead it says "NON UK TURBO FLYING MACHINE" lol

jackherer

haha only GSF would sell a 20.6mm m/c thats actually 19mm :)

personally I'd go to GSF and take a look at their £28.50 one, but I have a GSF shop less than five minutes away... I wish I'd done that in the first place now :)

Simes

Andrew,

If you can wait a few days I'm going to remove my 150mile old MC and replace with a 22.2mm one I have sitting next to me.

Let me know via Pm.

Anthony
So do we think that the Bremtech one is satisfactory? I need to oreder another one today and not sure whethe to go through GSF or Brakeparts

I've got a Bremtech one from Brakeparts and it works perfectly - used the reservoir from my old MC and swapped it straight across and it doesn't leak at all :)

TEKNOPUG
Andrew,

If you can wait a few days I'm going to remove my 150mile old MC and replace with a 22.2mm one I have sitting next to me.

Let me know via Pm.

Doh! Ordered one from GSF the same day. They explained the difference between the two.

"do you want the cheap, low quality one or the decent, more expensive one?"

Erm....hell it's only the brakes, I'll take the cheapest, dodgiest, cobbled-together-in-a-NorthKorean-sweatshop one please.... :)

inferno

did you try using the original seals? ive found with a lot of resevoirs/lhm parts ect, basicly most of the jobs i do with seals, unless the old seals have signs of wear/corrosion, re use them as they tend to seal better than new ones...

rich_w
Doh! Ordered one from GSF the same day. They explained the difference between the two.

"do you want the cheap, low quality one or the decent, more expensive one?"

Erm....hell it's only the brakes, I'll take the cheapest, dodgiest, cobbled-together-in-a-NorthKorean-sweatshop one please.... -_-

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

I got a new master cyclinder a few months ago - i had the option of the cheap one and the expensive one, the cheap one looked errr cheap in a plastic bag - thats it - where as the expensive one was a bosch in a bendix box and came with blanking plugs and some white (?) stuff in a sachet.

jackherer, did you fix the problem with changing the resvior?

I had leaks coming out the M/C after a replaced the resvior with a new one [from the pug dealer] - I ended up replacing the M/C for a 2nd time in less than a year. But you didn't want to know that :unsure:

I'm sure Peugeot sell the seal's seperately.

jackherer

I put another used reservoir on today and I used the seals from my old master cylinder. I couldn't see any damage on the bremtech seals so it looks like one of them was undersized or something.

Anyway, no more leaks so I'm going to book an MOT tomorrow -_-

Brakeparts haven't got back to me about new seals BTW :unsure:

TEKNOPUG
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

I got a new master cyclinder a few months ago - i had the option of the cheap one and the expensive one, the cheap one looked errr cheap in a plastic bag - thats it - where as the expensive one was a bosch in a bendix box and came with blanking plugs and some white (?) stuff in a sachet.

Calm done dear, I bought the expensive one of course.

It is indeed a Bendix one, with a white tube sachet thing (sealant I presume) and a cable-tie.... -_-

TEKNOPUG
Calm done dear, I bought the expensive one of course.

It is indeed a Bendix one, with a white tube sachet thing (sealant I presume) and a cable-tie.... :)

Furthermore, when I was ordering it the guy at GSF commented that the 205 GTi M/C was the same as a Volkwagen one. "Whatever", I thought. I'm not in any position to comment. Low and behold, the receipt I've received is indeed for a VAG - part number 65269, which turns out to be for a Mk2 Golf on the GSF website. Looks like a Pug one though. It had better bloody fit!!

BTW - where exactly do you take the measurment to ascertain the bore size?

rich_w

Whats in the sachet? Is it intended for the VW's?

I'd be very careful with the rubber ring on the M/C - i'm sure I need to replace mine shortly due to ill fitment.

Sign in to follow this