• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
NOsMAN

Over Heating Problems

NOsMAN

The CTi is playing up .Its over heating since i changed the radiator. Made sure there is no airlock in the system. The system was filled with 50% coolant .The damaged water hose has been repaired so not getting anymore leaks.

Any other ideas why its overheating??

C_W

What type is the radiator? Is it overheating as in bubbling over or running higher than normal temps?

Did you swap it during this heat wave or just before as I'd expect the current weather to make a difference.

NOsMAN

Its for an automatic 205CTi so it has 2 caps on top of the radiator(one metal and the other plastic).

The temperature goes jus past halfway when driving but as soon as i sit in traffic the needle goes into the red and the stop light comes on.

Radiator was fitted during this heat wave.

C_W

What kind of coolant did you use? This can affect running temps if too much antifreeze is used but sounds like it might be a different problem if the temp is going so high the stop light comes on.

Fuqa
Its for an automatic 205CTi so it has 2 caps on top of the radiator(one metal and the other plastic).

The temperature goes jus past halfway when driving but as soon as i sit in traffic the needle goes into the red and the stop light comes on.

Radiator was fitted during this heat wave.

is your fan working?

NOsMAN

The fan comes on but sometimes a bit late. The coolant is a decent brand i think cos ive swopped a couple of radiators before on different cars and used the same brand every time .Never had any problems with it before.

maturin23

Did you replace the thermostat?

Could be no opening enough and restricting flow..

sorr

As already said check the thermostat, but also check the radiator is it getting hot all ove or just in certain areas?

If not hot all over you either have an air lock or duff radiator. Did you get the hose on it to rinse it out before fitting?

moonas

Does the fan work on both speeds (first slow then fast when really hot)? Check the radiator temp. sensor connection, clean it and reconnect.

Also check if the cooling system holds the pressure.

NOsMAN
Did you get the hose on it to rinse it out before fitting?

No didnt rinse it. The radiator is a genuine Valeo item.

Does the fan work on both speeds (first slow then fast when really hot)? Check the radiator temp. sensor connection, clean it and reconnect.

Also check if the cooling system holds the pressure.

Fan only comes on at fast speed. No leaks anywhere so its holding the pressure.

any more ideas?

Guest RickGTIBaker

Water pump failiure.

Vein or 2 snapped and now water aint being shifted enough?

Check the whole rad is getting hot.

Recheck for locks.

Is it 100% the right Rad?

jonD6B

Check the stat. is the right one.

pugrallye

well if you havent got airlocks, then waterpump is failing

NOsMAN

Could it be blocked ? Just drove the car this morning and got back home ,so i left it idling . All the water comes shooting out of the overflow pipe.

Not much chance of getting the wrong spec radiator cos i matched it up to the old one and its exactly the same.

Will check the water pump later.

KaspaCti
Could it be blocked ? Just drove the car this morning and got back home ,so i left it idling . All the water comes shooting out of the overflow pipe.

Not much chance of getting the wrong spec radiator cos i matched it up to the old one and its exactly the same.

Will check the water pump later.

Sounds like exactly the problems I was having with my CTi. My fan was only working on the high speed and by the time it kicked in it was too late to stop the coolant chucking itself out of the expansion tank. The resistor for the slow speed fan had cooked itself (and the connector on the wiring loom). Spliced in a replacement connector from another loom and fitted a spare resistor. Now it sits around the 1/3 mark most of the time and just below half way when stuck in traffic. Definitely worth a try if the other suggestions you've had don't work.

NOsMAN
Sounds like exactly the problems I was having with my CTi. My fan was only working on the high speed and by the time it kicked in it was too late to stop the coolant chucking itself out of the expansion tank. The resistor for the slow speed fan had cooked itself (and the connector on the wiring loom). Spliced in a replacement connector from another loom and fitted a spare resistor. Now it sits around the 1/3 mark most of the time and just below half way when stuck in traffic. Definitely worth a try if the other suggestions you've had don't work.

Think i do have the same problem . Will check the fuses on the fan and if need be will check the wiring .

Duroc
My fan was only working on the high speed and by the time it kicked in it was too late to stop the coolant chucking itself out of the expansion tank

I'd say that's your problem. Check the resistor is working. And also check the thermostatic switch (low speed) in the radiator.

nick

It sounds like the headgasket has gone if the system is being pressurised.

Nick

pugrallye

ooohhh! if your busting coolant out thermostat has gone ie its stuck shut

inferno

if its anything other than the headgasket now your lucky! if you run the heaters inside the car on hot, does it stay cool? generally if u run it up without the cap on, a 1.6 shouldnt bubble over, but just expell any airlocks and water level should drop noticably when fan kicks in. if its only happened since swapping rads, check switches and wiring. if this was the cause for you to change rads, id check compression. if you end up replacing HG, be sure to check the water pump as said above.

NOsMAN
It sounds like the headgasket has gone if the system is being pressurised.

Hope not the engine has low mileage on and being an auto it doesn't even let me rev up to 3000rpm

Reason for the new radiator is that the old one is knackered.

Been thru most of it again and still not sure whats wrong .Think its time the garage took a look <_<

Sign in to follow this