• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Pug_101

Exhaust Mods

Pug_101

I am removing the catalyst from my car so I am also thinking about making some other mods at the same time.

If I remove the centre box and replace it with a straight through pipe (aka group 'N' style) and leave the rear box standard will there be a noticeable increase in noise:

a: inside the car

b: From the outside

I would presume there would be some performance gain in this as well.

Thanks

Cameron

Err.. yeah i guess there would be, as youre removing a silencer and a cat, but not a significant one. You should fit the group N rear box too because it sounds fantastic. And its not overly loud considering, as it has to comply with race regs (i think its a 100db limit, correct me if im wrong.. i just remember seeing that on the old specialtuning site).

As for power increase, the biggest increase youll get is from removing the catalyst with the straight centre section.. and the grpN back box may make one or two bhp difference.

Edited by Cameron

Baz

It will be louder on both counts, not stupidly but may be a little drony on the inside.

roland rat

only prob is mot time how are you going to get round that?i read somewhere that a company are makin sport cats but htey aint cheap iirc!!!!! :unsure:

Pug_101
only prob is mot time how are you going to get round that?i read somewhere that a company are makin sport cats but htey aint cheap iirc!!!!! :unsure:

Hopefully by then the Mi16 will be in so won't be an issue :)

Guest MiamiBlueOli

I've had a custom straight through pipe to a remus backbox on my 1.9. It is loud, not an awful lot louder than standard though, and it passes the MOT no problems never had a complaint.

Car just passed this years MOT first time round too!!! :unsure:

bitchass 205

While we're on the subject, where do you get hold of these Group N exhausts and how much do they cost, say, for a centre section and a back box? :P

DaveW

the price of the grp n has gone up its like £130+!! and you still need to buy a down pipe too!

bitchass 205
the price of the grp n has gone up its like £130+!! and you still need to buy a down pipe too!

Ok, so i don't carry on asking and sounding like a 17 year old who doesn't know jack, where can i find these for sale? (new) i've typed it into google but all i get is lots of articles from people who have used them.

Cheers

Pug_101
Ok, so i don't carry on asking and sounding like a 17 year old who doesn't know jack, where can i find these for sale? (new) i've typed it into google but all i get is lots of articles from people who have used them.

Cheers

I've seen them on ebay too.

nick

I would have thought that come MOT time it will need to pass the emission test for a cat equiped car (assuming it is the '93 1.9 in your sig') surely the emissions test goes on year of car manufacture rather than the year of the engine?!!

Nick

Pug_101
I would have thought that come MOT time it will need to pass the emission test for a cat equiped car (assuming it is the '93 1.9 in your sig') surely the emissions test goes on year of car manufacture rather than the year of the engine?!!

Nick

Emission test goes on which is the oldest between "engine" and "year of Manufacture", but you are right my car would fall foul of this ruling. If I had a older 1.9L engine in my car I would be ok, although a understanding MOT officer would no doubt be helpful.

I plan to have a 1.9L Mi16 (not needing catalyst) fitted by the time the MOT comes up and this is one of the jobs I want to do before fitting the engine so the car is ready for the extra power eg: Currently installing the Motronic 3.1 engine management.

The emission test does not state a catalyst has to be fitted though it is easier to achieve with a cat but not impossible. The test was made much tougher in 96 (I believe) and a catalyst is needed to pass after this.

Are there any MOT people on the forum who could confirm the above as I have only learnt this from the internet so could be a load of bullocks :)

Sign in to follow this