• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
M@tt

Diagnosing Battery Drain

M@tt

I believe my mi16 has a battery drain somewhere as the brand new battery has gradually drained over the past week so much so that last night it needed jumpleads to get it going. After a good blast it started up first time so i'm happy that the alternator is charging although i will confirm this with my multimeter this weekend.

However i want to track down whats causing the drian as it's pissing me off, and i'd appreciate any advice on the best way to track it down.

The method i have thought of using to check for the drain is i need to set my multimeter on voltage, connect the earth probe to a good earth on the car(negative terminal on the battery) and then with the positive probe go round and test all earth leads on possible faulty components, my thinking is that the dodgy component will register voltage across it with the ignition off.

Does that sound about right?

Also some posts have suspected immobiliser wiring but i've recently wired mine in but not sure ow that could cause a drain?!?

Cheers

aeinstein

before i do anything involved, i check the interior lights, head unit etc, make sure the glove box/boot light extinguishes as it should.

the number of times this has been the problem, and its taken weeks of searching and only parking at the top of hills etc, you'd be amazed!

however, if its only been a problem since you wired your immob. in, then i'd look to that first.

hth

al

Rob_the_Sparky

You can put the meter on current and take a lead off the battery and put the meter in series if you are careful not to turn the ignition on. Then take out one fuse at a time and see which one makes the current draw drop. This will help remove a lot of possibilities.

As the current draw is probably quite small I doubt you will see much on voltage unless you have a very accurate meter. I have used a meter on voltage for this at work but it is a 6.5 digit one, not a stock 2.5 or 3.5 digit hand held. I doubt a hand held will be sensitive enough but you could try.

Rob

P.S. If you turn on the ignition with the meter in series you may well draw too much current for the meter to handle (not a good idea if you like your meter!)

M@tt

cheers for the replies

Rob i was also thinking something similar to what you said but didn't realise it was current i'd need it set to.

Do you have any figures as to what an acceptable current value is? that way i can compare it to what i'm getting. I assume the only thing that should be drawing current is the immobliser as thats the only thing that should be "ON" when the ignition is off

Edited by M@tt

Rob_the_Sparky

Not sure on "normal" current draw I'm afraid but sounds like your is not normal (or you have a duff battery). To check it isn't the battery you couls just disconnect and leave it parked to see if it holds charge when not connected.

There are a few things on permenant live though, off the top of my head:

Immobiliser,

Radio,

Clock,

Radiator fans,

Most exterior lights,

Interior lights.

and probably a few I've not thought of.

I'd use the 10A setting on the multimeter initially (just to be safe) then use the more sensative settings once you know the draw is fairly small (it should be). Most meters have a seperate input for 10A current which is more robust than the usual input.

Rob

M@tt

sound cheers for the advise i'll let you know how i get on

pug_ham

Disconnect the rear hatch release , didn't you mention a week or two ago you thought this was draining the battery? (before you fitted the alarm)

If it stops the drain with it disconnected, you've found your fault.

If not & while you are looking check the boot light as you'd never know if this was on, remove the bulb for an easy way to check.

Graham.

Phil H

Have a "friend" shut you in the boot to see if the light stays on, or just fold down the rear seats to look.

M@tt
Disconnect the rear hatch release , didn't you mention a week or two ago you thought this was draining the battery? (before you fitted the alarm)

i rechecked the relay before and it was ok ie not drawing current when the ignition was off, instead breaking the curcuit when the ignition was turned on but i will double check it

also ican see the boot light and it definately goes out whn the boot is shut i'm sure.

i'll bring my bits this weekend and we can solve it :D

jim205GTI

it going sound stupid but i had a drain on the 306 the battery would die within a few days so brought new battery but the same happened , hoped it was the alternator on the way out....... thought i would have one last try at fixing it looked at the positive connection and it looked loose put a new battery connector on it and bingo hasn't happened since ( fingers crossed) :wacko: couldn't believe it was something that blood simple :D

Paintguy

I'd go through everything as described by Rob, and if you still can't find anything, disconnect the battery completely overnight, and see if it drops any volts. It wouldn't be the first time I've seen a brand new battery that doesn't hold a charge.

M@tt

just come back tonight to find my boot wasn't shut properly and boot lamp on :lol:

but i'm sure that wasn't to blame for the previous flattening as i had the boot open last night after it had already been flat and the boot was definately shut and the light off (and it went off again once i shut it properly tonight)

pugrallye

you sure your battery terminals are clamping properly as the moulded efforts from peugeot wear out after a while preventing any major current surge like a starter motor from working, and cause symptoms of a flat battery, ie starter clicks

Edited by pugrallye

Shevy

Are you sure the Alternator is o.k.

Very recently I had a similar problem.

I fitted a new battery as the battery was old anyway within 2 days the battery went flat. I jumped started the flat battery and drove 60 miles no problem. I got out the car and went to start it half hour later and the battery was basically flat again.

In the end, it turned out to be the alternator. It was just about giving out enough current to keep the car running but as soon as I switched the engine off the duff alternator just drained the battery.

Sign in to follow this