• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
brianthemagical

Smr's Or Speedline's

brianthemagical

does anyone what were the criteria/ reasons for fitting the smr's or speedline's. was it just random, dependant on when or where it was made. the reason i'm interested is i want to get mine looking standard (boring i know but being 19 with a 1.9 the insurance is bad enough) and would like to get the correct wheels. thanks for the help.

Rob Turbo

I think it was just random, like the lights, you get different makes on the same car, just whichever was at the front of the shelf!

roland rat

go for speedlines,theyre slighty lighter and look less chunky imo

j-16

Yeah about 1kg difference per wheel, I also think the SMR looks chunkier but it might be my imagination. You certainly notice the difference in weight carrying them.

sherly

Earlier cars had Speedlines and later ones had SMRs. Not sure on when it changed over though - I'm sure someone will know.

Probably something to do with cost-down exercises - Peugeot would've looked into sourcing parts from cheaper suppliers throughout the production life of the 205 to reduce manufacturing costs. Maybe the tooling for the (speedline) alloys needed replacing and they managed to source a cheaper (smr) alternative.

Edited by sherly

brianthemagical

thanks for replys. it's a 1991 on the j. so the general concensus would be get speedlines? i don't suppose many people will know which wheels should be on it anyway.

ashley peddle

they are identical, lol :D

iv refurbed wuite a few speedlines / smr's and apart from weight you cant really tell the difference. its just another thing that the 205 purists like to lay claim to :D :D

moonas
iv refurbed wuite a few speedlines / smr's and apart from weight you cant really tell the difference. its just another thing that the 205 purists like to lay claim to :);)

That's not entirely correct mate. I happen to have different SMR wheels on my pug, one is indeed identical to Speedline (apart from slightly brighter color), and other one has a thinner outer lip.

Here you can see them, both are SMRs:

smr1.jpg

smr2.jpg

Rob_the_Sparky
they are identical, lol :)

iv refurbed wuite a few speedlines / smr's and apart from weight you cant really tell the difference. its just another thing that the 205 purists like to lay claim to ;):D

Also 1Kg saving in unspring mass per corner is not to be sniffed at.

ashley peddle

not really something youd notice on normal road driving... and if you REALLY wanted to save weight surely youd use steelies anyways?

jackherer
and if you REALLY wanted to save weight surely youd use steelies anyways?

steels are apparently much worse at dissipating heat than alloys, so the brakes wont last as long before fading in theory.

brianthemagical

the radius's on the spokes of my speedlines (2) and smr's (3) are different, only slightly though. all 5 are of the thick lipped verity.

pugrallye

SMR happens to now be the largest alloy wheel manufacturer about.. so possibly they took over the manufacturing from speedline, as the likes of BBS and ronal are all made by SMR

alternatengine
SMR happens to now be the largest alloy wheel manufacturer about.. so possibly they took over the manufacturing from speedline, as the likes of BBS and ronal are all made by SMR

That would be my explanation.

If i had the choice whether my car was late or early i would have the speedline's without question.

I know it's kinda sad but interesting topic!

Edited by alternatengine

Sign in to follow this