• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Fee

Bouncy Front End On Track

Guest Fee

Hi...

Just done a track day on sat.... with a few observations/differences from last time

The front of the car is a lot more bouncy round corners..... (feels like front wheels are bouncing)

The differences from last trackday on this track are..

KONI susp

raised rear susp to same height as front

disconnected front ARB

fitted upper and lower braces to front

Did a trackday at knockhill with all of the above bar raised rear and the car didnt bouce around at all.

What do you think would be the problem, and any possible causes?!? do you think it could be the tyre walls flexing?

smckeown

was this latest track day tigter in the corners ? I experienced bouncy front end when i first bought my 205 years back, the outcome was too much lock and crap springs/shocks (koni).

ashley peddle

i have koni all round and dont have that problem. only thing i could complain about is the arse wagging on longer/faster/sweeping corners :D

Miles

Check the dampers as they may have lost there damping, Also reconnect your ARB as not having it will make you slower

nick

As Miles says really, it sounds like the dampers can't control the spring. If the dampers are in good condition you need either better dampers or lower poundage springs.

Nick

jonnie205

Sounds like too heavily sprung on the front, a raised rear end will load the front end more.

as above really

C_W

Are the Konis not adjustable? Try winding them up a bit if they are.

Guest Fee

I thought they were, but couldnt see anyway of adjusting the fronts ...

The rears have adjustment, but not the front... as far as i can see!

ashley peddle

there is a little nipple at the top of the strut (under the bonnet?)

thats where mine are :)

SamGTi

Or maybe they are the older style of Koni's (like mine) which need to be fully compressed and twisted to adjust them?

C_W

As samgti said, if they're the yellow Koni sport shock they can be adjusted, if they are not top adjustable (they'll be an allen key on the strut top) then you need to remove the strut and strip it down unfortunately to adjust it. Once the spring is off you fully compress the damper and turn the rod, you can feel it engage the adjusters, best to wind it full in (softest) then start from there. I found that mine were fine on 1 & 3/4 turns out.

Guest Fee

man!!! strip it down to adjust it!

They are Koni red's.... with allan key hole on strut top

C_W

Ah, not sure then!

They maye be adjustable, not sure, but the Koni Reds aren't as sports as the Koni Sports so this could the root of the problem.

veloce200

it's as they say - either not enough rebound to control the spring through worn damper OR you may be hitting the front bumpstop which the damper would not be designed to control such a high increase in rate

Sign in to follow this