• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest twinbridge01

Mi16 Wiring Loom

Guest twinbridge01

Can anyone help please???

I have just completed an mi16 conversion on my 1991 1.9 gti. I have used the 405 motronic ecu and wiring loom. Basically I have spliced the sesor loom into the 405 loom as per AndyRs guide. I have connected the 405s loom power spade connector into the black fuse box on the right hand side of the engine bay. I am pretty confident that everything is wired up as it should be but when I turn the ignition on nothing happens apart from the relay in the glove box fuse board clicks.

The only thing I am not sure of is that I have been left with 2 wires under the steering colum ( 1 brown and 1 lilac) these where cut from the 205 loom and they went to the ecu/relay. I cant quite see where these lead without stripping the dash out. Should these be connected to the 405 loom??

d-9

Does one of the relays in the 406 loom click when you turn the ignition on?

Guest twinbridge01
Does one of the relays in the 406 loom click when you turn the ignition on?

Hi

Yes. the red relay (I presume this is for the fuel pump) switches when the ignition is turned on.

d-9

Nah the other relay is for the fuel pump, which only clicks when the engine is turning over, the relay that clicks when the ignition is turned on is the ignition relay for the ecu.

does the starter engage?

Guest twinbridge01
Nah the other relay is for the fuel pump, which only clicks when the engine is turning over, the relay that clicks when the ignition is turned on is the ignition relay for the ecu.

does the starter engage?

No the starter doesnt engage

d-9

Ok, kinda hard to diagnose from here, but first of all, check the following:

does your car have an imobiliser?

is the battery positive terminal securly attached? Is the wire from the +ve terminal atached to the starter?

is the wire on the starter solnoid?

is the gearbox earth connected and clean?

is the brown multiplug on top of the gearbox plugged in?

Is the brown multiplug corroded to s*it?

If its none of the above, try getting a bit of thickish wire, crimping a spade on the end, puting that end onto the starter solnoid and touching the other end onto the +ve side of the battery, if theres a bit spark and the engine turns over then you need to check the cars wiring, if there isnt then the +ve and -ve leads from the battery need careful checking. Do this with the ignition off and the car out of gear.

Guest twinbridge01
Ok, kinda hard to diagnose from here, but first of all, check the following:

does your car have an imobiliser?

is the battery positive terminal securly attached? Is the wire from the +ve terminal atached to the starter?

is the wire on the starter solnoid?

is the gearbox earth connected and clean?

is the brown multiplug on top of the gearbox plugged in?

Is the brown multiplug corroded to s*it?

If its none of the above, try getting a bit of thickish wire, crimping a spade on the end, puting that end onto the starter solnoid and touching the other end onto the +ve side of the battery, if theres a bit spark and the engine turns over then you need to check the cars wiring, if there isnt then the +ve and -ve leads from the battery need careful checking. Do this with the ignition off and the car out of gear.

Thanks a lot for the help. The car did have an imobiliser but I removed it when doing the conversion. I will have a check at the weekend to see if I have overlooked anything on the imobiliser side.

Thanks again.

Sign in to follow this