• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
GLPoomobile

Need A New Radiator - But What Sort?

GLPoomobile

As above......

I could pick up a new aluminuim radiator from eBay for between £45 and £55. Or alternatively I can go for a standard copper replacement from GSF for £40. I think Neat do one for about the same price which may be better as they are usually true OE but I'd have to pay delivery and the courier company they use are a headache.

So opinions please - can I trust an eBay aluminium one to fit OK? Do the aluminium ones last longer/resist corrosion better? Are GSF ones any good?

Ryan

Copper has better heat transfer properites, but aluminium is much lighter.

Not much in it really, I'd just go for whichever works out cheaper.

Pug_101

Would it pay to go for a bigger type? The Turbo diesel radiators are bigger aren't they,

mind you this could be a problem if changing to Mi later on or would it?

Rob_the_Sparky
Copper has better heat transfer properites, but aluminium is much lighter.

Not much in it really, I'd just go for whichever works out cheaper.

Although I'd expect the weight benefit to be not noticable as the water in the rad is very heavy in comparison.

wildejon

Is this for a 205 or 309?

I've got a used 309 one if its any use to you?

inferno

turbo dervs are much thicker, but would just involve stepping it out more as with some other mi conversions!

40 quid sounds cheap whatever your getting if its new!

TEKNOPUG

No need to get a bigger rad. A NEAT/GSF one will be fine.

scotthall39

Depends on if your trying to save weight,

Thats the only real difference between them.

They all do the same job :lol:

SPGTi

Try and find a motorfactor that stocks nissens aluminium radiators. Usually cheaper than ebay. I have had a couple and I prefer them to the copper as the fins are not so delicate and they are much lighter.

Steve

GLPoomobile
Try and find a motorfactor that stocks nissens aluminium radiators. Usually cheaper than ebay. I have had a couple and I prefer them to the copper as the fins are not so delicate and they are much lighter.

Steve

Yeah, I heard Nissens ones are good and have seen them on eBay in the past.

Thanks Teknopug for directly answering my original questions.

For the record, if anyone else wants to comment, I'm after a standard size 205 GTi radiator. Any slight difference (good or bad) in both weight or cooling are not considerations. My only priorities are cost, build quality (does it drop straight in?) and outright lifespan (are the aluminium ones a bit tougher and more corrosion resistant?).

I'm sure if I looked around I could get a decent second hand one, but for the sake of £40 or £50 I'd rather buy new and have the piece of mind.

pug_ham

TD ones are about double the thickness but also double the price.

The GSF supplied one is most likely an alloy one anyway but any motor factors should get you the same for a negliable difference on price.

Graham.

Pug_101
Yeah, I heard Nissens ones are good and have seen them on eBay in the past.

Thanks Teknopug for directly answering my original questions.

For the record, if anyone else wants to comment, I'm after a standard size 205 GTi radiator. Any slight difference (good or bad) in both weight or cooling are not considerations. My only priorities are cost, build quality (does it drop straight in?) and outright lifespan (are the aluminium ones a bit tougher and more corrosion resistant?).

I'm sure if I looked around I could get a decent second hand one, but for the sake of £40 or £50 I'd rather buy new and have the piece of mind.

Very sorry if thats aimed at me :)

Found a web dealer of Radiators. while looking for Nissens radiators, check with them if they are Nissens though as it does not state that directly.

RAD

Seem to be good value delivered to your door, a 1.9L GTi 1993 (my car) was £30+Vat+£10delivery.

As for this question "are the aluminium ones a bit tougher" there what is used in all forms of motorsport so should last.

Cheers :)

TEKNOPUG

It's just a rad man. Any new "205 Gti" one for about £40 will be fine. Nissen are good but it's just a radiator core with some end caps and a couple of connections for the hoses - pretty difficult to get wrong.

GLPoomobile
Very sorry if thats aimed at me :)

Found a web dealer of Radiators. while looking for Nissens radiators, check with them if they are Nissens though as it does not state that directly.

RAD

Seem to be good value delivered to your door, a 1.9L GTi 1993 (my car) was £30+Vat+£10delivery.

As for this question "are the aluminium ones a bit tougher" there what is used in all forms of motorsport so should last.

Cheers ;)

My comment wasn't directly amimed at anybody, was just trying to get back on topic :)

Thanks for the info.

I have been offered a nearly rad for £25 from someone on here, but since I'm going to GSF tomorrow I might ask if their rads are alluminium and pick one up if they are.

Sign in to follow this