• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
M@tt

106 Tu5jp Eating Lambda Sensors!

M@tt

Our 106 has failed its MOT again!!! 3rd year running :)

One of the points it failed on was high co2 emmisions, which is what it failed on last year.

So last year for the MOT the CAT and lambda sensor were both replaced which solved the problem. Then after xmas this year the car developed cutting out problems and one of the issus that was found by the garage we took it to was that the lambda sensor was faulty so this was replaced by the original garage that did the last MOT with another brand new one.

Now it has failed again and the MOT place has said it would have thought it's the sensor. Now 3 lambda sensors in the space of a year is a little excessive to say the least so any ideas as to whether there could be an underlying problem which could be causing these to fail?

Any help much appreciated

Matt

Dj_mini

The non cit/pug ones are very poor had loads of probs with it on mine changed it for a new pug one never had a prob since.

Rippthrough

You haven't got a coolant leak have you? Antifreeze eats lambda sensors for breakfast. If it's heavily overfueling that could cause the problem too

pugrallye

right dont forget, the MOT tester uses his own probe which gives its own reading. 106 TU's are notorious for getting pinholes in the exhaust system and air intake, which throws the emissions out no end, even one hole!!! believe me I have had two im my garage and it took absolutely ages to work out why...

Your best bet is to actually read the lambda signal yourself, then you will see if its failing or what the true reading of it is

M@tt

cheers chaps

i recently did the head gasket on the 106 as it was going through oil and water at a rapid rate of knots so it could well be antiftreeze thats fooked it :) won't tell them that though at the garage :) just get them to swap it again for a new one.

with regards to these pin prick holes then where should i be looking both with the exhaust and intake ie is there certain sections i should look at for holes?

also i don't quite understand how holes in the exhaust could knacker the emiisions? i've read other posts which has also mentioned this problem but never been able to get my head round the why's. i would have thought if there were holes then extra air/oxygen would be sucked in there fore lowering\leaning out the emmisions

Edited by M@tt

Sign in to follow this