• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
adriches

Peugeot 405 Mi16 And Glx4 Transferboxes?

adriches

Hi,

A bit of a loooong question...!

The 405 glx4 epicyclic centre diff gives a permanent torque split of 53/47 per cent front/rear and at speeds up to 15mph the centre and rear diffs can b locked using a button next to the handbrake.

The 405 mi16 uses an epicyclic centre diff with viscous coupling. So normally 53/47 % front/rear but is adjusted by the diff depending on differing axle speed, and thus the grip at each end of the car. It also has a Torsen (torque sensing) rear diff which redistributes the torque supplied to the rear axle to favour the rear wheel with most grip (maximum ratio of 4 to 1.)

So, basically does that surely mean the mi16 box must get worn more than the glx4? And so for an off-road vehicle the glx4 type box would be better?

Baz

Good question! I too would like to know the answer to that, as if it is better suited to off road and is a straight swap then i would prefer to run that on mine that i use to Autocross (cringe) occasionally, and have broken a transfer box!

Have you thought about asking this also over on 405Mi16.com Forum?

adriches

Yep! Same post already on there!

pugrallye

ITs not the gearbox that wears though is it? its the splines in the transfer box that breakdown, more often than not so bad you cant even split the box apart, you used to be able to buy uprated transfer boxes to contend with more abuse, but then the rear diff used to go.

Edited by pugrallye

adriches

Yeah i was talkin bout transfer box!

Didnt kno they did uprated ones. I thought surely if u upped the power on a t16 (300bhp+ say) surely the standard transfer box (same as mi16x4) wouldnt last long?!

pugrallye

no they dont lol, we used to have the mi 16 4x4's in and the owners had tried fitting mikuni's and the like, and the transfer box just couldnt even handle a little hike in power like 20-30bhp (well and a heavy right foot i guess..) the uprated boxes were about when the 405 was in its heyday, lol all since gone now, we used to fit them to these 'tuned' 4x4's that had gone a bit 'static'

Edited by pugrallye

Hilgie

The uprated boxes (oh well...the transfershafts) can still be bought. Someone on the T16 forum is making them. Not cheap though...1500 euros for the two shafts.

felix2566

Hilgie, do you have the web addy for the T16 forum?

I had a look on google and couldnt find it.

thanks.

Grim.Badger

Even I've heard of the old Peugeot 4x4 transfer box weakness :P Is it not possible to use one of Peugeots more modern boxes, say off a Partner or similar, as they have apparently made huge improvements in recent times?

Sign in to follow this