• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
adrian_gti

Insane Idea For Extreme Intercooler Cooling...

adrian_gti

Hey guys,

Apart from taking photos and videos of semi naked chicks for a living I also build High end servers for video encoding.

From using peltiers to cool cpus I had an idea....

How about putting a load of peltiers on the intercooler connected to a switch or temprature sensor so when the intercooler gets too hot it switches the peltiers on bringing the temp down to sometimes -40 or less!

I think fans would have to be put on the peltiers too??? although if the car is in motion there would be ebough airflow to cool the hot side?

heres info about peltiers http://www.dansdata.com/pelt.htm

Any ideas to improve the idea or is it a total waste of brain power?

If the idea would work it could bring the air temprature down to below freezing... i think?

Cheers.

Adrian.

Rippthrough
Hey guys,

Apart from taking photos and videos of semi naked chicks for a living I also build High end servers for video encoding.

From using peltiers to cool cpus I had an idea....

How about putting a load of peltiers on the intercooler connected to a switch or temprature sensor so when the intercooler gets too hot it switches the peltiers on bringing the temp down to sometimes -40 or less!

I think fans would have to be put on the peltiers too??? although if the car is in motion there would be ebough airflow to cool the hot side?

heres info about peltiers http://www.dansdata.com/pelt.htm

Any ideas to improve the idea or is it a total waste of brain power?

If the idea would work it could bring the air temprature down to below freezing... i think?

Cheers.

Adrian.

peltiers aren't too effecient, you'd need dozens of 178 watt peltiers to cool down the immense volume of air fast enough, and they'd draw a serious amount of power from the alternator. If they made enough difference to overcome their power consumption, maybe, but I don't think that a) you would get enough peltiers in the IC without spending ridiculus amounts and :huh: they would get enough extra power out of the engine to compensate for their current draw.

adrian_gti

damn... so i'm not gonna get rich with this idea :huh:

just googled it and it seems this has been discussed on loads of other car forums :D

M3Evo

How about for a real one shot deal, pointing the outlet of a CO2 fire extinguisher at the IC core, set to go off at full boost say.

Would need to make sure the engine didn't breathe it in of course, but would certainly lower the inlet temps dramatically (and extremely breifly!) :huh:

Guest rick03054

I'd thought about making up some kind of dry ice built into the IC pipework for short term extreme cooling. Maybe packed around the intercooler or just a cylinder packed around the pipes somewhere :huh:

I don't know if it would make much difference but it's amazing what you can come up with when your bored!

Guest smokinslim

What about an intercooler based upon the lines of a water cooled oil cooler - charge cooled instead of oil (obviously) using liquid nitrogen instead of water. Weren't the early Kray computers cooled with liquid nitro?

I don't know if it would make much difference but it's amazing what you can come up with when your bored!

Tis very true lol!

M3Evo
:) imagine that! Wonder if the fuel would freeze!

Rippthrough
:) imagine that! Wonder if the fuel would freeze!

Press the button, engine stops, loads of very small ice cubes in the intercooler ;)

Edited by Rippthrough

Guest rick03054

Haha, but theres no fuel in the intercooler, it's before the injectors.

I wonder if theres any way to work out how cold the air would get passing through this hypothetical box of magic?

I think petrol freezes around -40 degrees. And I dont reckon it'd get near that!

Edited by rick03054

Sign in to follow this