• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
driversdomainuk

4mpg From My 8v On Twin 45s

driversdomainuk

Hi

Just thought you would like to know my 205 running twin 45s is rather thirsty...I have worked out that whilst I am at Loton Park hillclimb I manage an impressive 4mpg....what on earth would these green peace people make of that...

Everyone is going on about how bad 4X4s are for the environment - what about my car LOL..

If you think that is bad, a guy running a 270bhp Mi16 205 reckons he is burning 3/4 gallon of fuel in 1475 yards. To equal that you would need to down 8 pints in under 60 secs!!!

Jonmurgie

Certainly doesn't sound right for an N/A if you ask me...

smckeown

sounds right, petef has quoted silly mpg like that for his 205 track car on carbs

Kitsune

Difference being pete has in the region of 190 bhp on an 8v.

You quote your figures at a hillclimb event, whats it like day to day (if that happens of course?)

driversdomainuk

You quote your figures at a hillclimb event, whats it like day to day (if that happens of course?)

Well I only do about 50 miles a month in it normally - It gets around 28mpg if driven carefully

Edited by driversdomainuk

paul wicks

If you take the filters off the carbs, and squeeze the throttle linkage by hand you can see the fuel being squirted in at an impressive rate, 4mpg on 100% throttle up an hill climb course is prob about right.

smckeown

No he quoted that mpg when still on his old engine which was circa 145 bhp i believe, i know it was a lot less than his new engine

driversdomainuk
If you take the filters off the carbs, and squeeze the throttle linkage by hand you can see the fuel being squirted in at an impressive rate, 4mpg on 100% throttle up an hill climb course is prob about right.

The last time I raced the car was fully stripped out with just two seats...well I thought it was stripped out LOL

In the next week or so I will be putting some pics up of the car and some info on how I reduced the weight by a further 50kg - and it is still road legal.

Also made a 15inch x 8inch opening in the bonnet for cooler air - looks cool as the car in front can now, not only see me as I approach them, but also the silver sides of the twin K&Ns sitting under the bonnet.

Edited by driversdomainuk

JERAM

my mi on 45's gets around 15mpg on track, 30mpg on road use

should not be that low, weber or delorto's??

what ignition set up do you run

Miles

Sounds fine to me, Even our Megane (200bhp) on a std inlet during a race does 6.8 MPG down to around 5 > 6mpg when I had my 309 running with 200bhp on TB's

Jonmurgie

Well f*** me, I guess mine will be doing 1 or 2 mpg then :huh:

smckeown

no, its only carbs that are fuel inneficient, TBs/ECU will be a lot better

Kitsune
No he quoted that mpg when still on his old engine which was circa 145 bhp i believe, i know it was a lot less than his new engine

My mistake.

My old 8v on 45's was running ignition managment and I always thought the MPG was pretty good (not that I worked it out). That was used as the daily driver, if it had been massively thirsty I wouldn't have used it quite so often.

driversdomainuk
my mi on 45's gets around 15mpg on track, 30mpg on road use

should not be that low, weber or delorto's??

what ignition set up do you run

Run bog standard ignition, on Webers

JERAM
Run bog standard ignition, on Webers

std ignition is not the best for carbs, but know doubt the internet mechanics will say otherwise :o

you need mapped ignition to get the best out of your carbs :lol:

driversdomainuk
std ignition is not the best for carbs, but know doubt the internet mechanics will say otherwise :)

you need mapped ignition to get the best out of your carbs :)

Indeeed - but currently if I want to get better times, my money is best spent on setting up the suspension and brakes and making it lighter, as opposed to wasting money on an engine which needs a bottom end rebuild and only makes 120bhp at the fly.

205mattgti

my car is midly tuned running tqin 45 webber carbs and the other week i used 35litres of fuel in 90miles, i was flat out, so that works out to 7.4mpg

(All done on private road) lol

Redtop

For a hillclimb that sounds about right. You driving hard. I know that my 1600 kent formula ford which has a weber is doing 6mpg in a race compaired to a zetec 1.8 which has injection does 8mpg on the same track. Carbs = more fuel.

Sign in to follow this