• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
luggy

Tracking

luggy

Hi, This is just a general query, when I've got my 2 front tyres replaced in the past I get it done at the local tyre centre and they check the tracking with a piece of 1"x1"x7ft wood. Steering seems fine and the tyres wear pretty much evenly, swapped the NSf wishbone then took it 2 another tyre centre who put the car on ramps and used the proper geomerty kit and he told me the tracking was miles out. Didnt think that swapping the wishbone would affect it that much, until I paid for the work done and realised they guy was boss eyed and his eyes kept flicking from left to right which unnerved me slightly and Im not questioning his ability, or proffesionalism, but at the end of the day Im the one whos got to drive the car and I use it for work. but who do you reckon I should trust, guesstimation man with his wooden stick or the bossyeyed man with the correct gear. Luggy

(PS) If anyone reading this is offended please accept my apologies, my intention is not to offend

Edited by luggy

Jonmurgie

It sounds like your joking but you should trust the equipment everytime! You can do a 'rough' alignment with a few bits and pieces (wood I guess!) but to get it properly spot on you need proper electrical equipment, doesn't matter if your half fecking blind cause the computer tells you whether it's right or not ;)

luggy

No Jon Im not joking that is straigtht up no s*it, cheers for your response. Anybody else in the South West or anywhere in fact who have experienced the man with the long wooden pole at tyre centres who checks your tracking? or is it just a Plymouth/ Southwest thing?

hengti

there's no particular black art involved in tracking (wouldn't mind getting my own set of tracking plates - save a few bob), but the measurements are quite fine.

got to give the thumbs down to the 'man with the stick' - there's no way you could accurately measure the distance between the back of the rims compared to the distance between the front of the rims with a stick! or a tape measure. you can measure the front, but the subframe/roll bar gets in the way at the back.

does he have a long white beard and a strange looking hat?

crogthomas

You'd be surprised how acurately you can measure tracking with a wooden stick or string and a tape measure. Its not what you've got its what you do with it (like most things in life).

I can read a tape measure to the nearest half millimeter. With rubber tyres mounted on bendy french metal wishbones fixed to the bendy french chassis with rubber bushes, I dont think you need be be any more accurate.

If the chap with the wooden stick knows what he's measureing and why hes doing it, then id trust him over someone just reading numbers of a digital scale any day.

jackherer

I happen to know that the old Hyundai WRC team (and apparently most other teams) set tracking with wooden posts and bits of string as they are only allowed a limited number of tools in their service periods and they dont want to waste any of their allocation on tracking lasers.

GLPoomobile

It doesn;t really help that a lot of the guys using 4 wheel laser allignment equipment don't know what they are doing. Wonky eyes or no wonky eyes!

crogthomas
Didnt think that swapping the wishbone would affect it that much

I dont know what the manufacturing tolerances are on a wishbone, but I can imagine it could easily be up to 2mm longer or shorter than the last one. That would put your toe setting out by 4mm which is significant enough.

jonah
I dont know what the manufacturing tolerances are on a wishbone, but I can imagine it could easily be up to 2mm longer or shorter than the last one. That would put your toe setting out by 4mm which is significant enough.

Absolutely right, in fact (iirc) it's more like 6mm toe change for 2mm change of wishbone length. I've had this happen myself, changed both front wishbones (without touching anything else) and ended up with about half an inch of toe in...

btw another vote of confidence here for the man with the plank of wood!

hengti

gandalf6nc.th.jpg

"bend over Frodo, whilst I spanner your rod end"

etc etc

Edited by hengti

luggy

Fancy some Tea Baggin? s

Doesnt help having to swap the wishbones on a monthly basis because the ball joint is knackered and the quality is hit and miss. So really Im better off buying better quality wishbones so then I dont have to swap them out so often and get the tracking checked each time. Anyway Im not bitter, :) Cheers for the responses guys

Luggy :blink:

base-1

As said, there's nothing wrong with using good old fashioned wood/string/tape measure, whatever. All the rally cars got done like that the last place I worked, sometimes they were lucky enough to have optical gauges put on them too!

I changed a wishbone recently, car was awful. Put it on the machine, was toeing in 4 and obviously wasn't square :rolleyes:

Sign in to follow this