• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Jer309GTi

1.9 Gti Front Brakes On Xs

Jer309GTi

I've got 1.9 brakes on the front of my XS but am not really liking the longer pedal travel. Will a 1.6 master cylinder fit straight on (as it has drums on the back too) or do I have to use a 1.9 cylinder. Thanks

Edit- 205 posts woohoo

Edited by Jer309GTi

trogboy

It's easier to use the 1.9 MC as it has four connections like the base model MC. The 1.6 MC only has three so you'd need to fit a tee.

I could have that the wrong way round though as it has been ages since I fitted mine.

Ad

jonah

1.9 front brakes shouldn't have made any difference to pedal travel since (afaik) the caliper pistons are the same diameter as the non-GTI brakes. So you probably still have some air in the system.

Also 1.6 and 1.9 M/Cs are the same except for the 1.6 having one port blanked off.

trogboy

So there is a threaded hole behind the blanking plug on a 1.6 MC?

jonah

Depends on the manufacturer, the standard one does not have the 4th port drilled at all, but I know some M/Cs (designed for multiple different cars) are supplied with all 4 ports drilled and tapped and with a blanking plug or two in the box that you can fit if needed.

Jer309GTi
1.9 front brakes shouldn't have made any difference to pedal travel since (afaik) the caliper pistons are the same diameter as the non-GTI brakes. So you probably still have some air in the system.

Also 1.6 and 1.9 M/Cs are the same except for the 1.6 having one port blanked off.

I always thought that GTi pistons were bigger? So your saying the only difference between base model and 1.9 front brakes is the fact that GTi's have vented discs?

Guest smokinslim

Intersting, have been contemplating this for the past few weeks myself. Are you keeping the xs rear drums for the time being or have you changed those also? Can't seem to find MCs on the parts catalogue at the mo, but i'm sure the base model MC is a couple of mm smaller than the GTI ones.

Jer309GTi
Intersting, have been contemplating this for the past few weeks myself. Are you keeping the xs rear drums for the time being or have you changed those also? Can't seem to find MCs on the parts catalogue at the mo, but i'm sure the base model MC is a couple of mm smaller than the GTI ones.

I'm just keeping the xs drums. stops very well so can't really see the point in upgrading the rears too. Might be worth doing if it had a bit more power but it's basically standard

Guest smokinslim

Your probably best off with the 1.9 MC over the 1.6 in that case, saves on the amount of messin with the copper lines. After my last post i got on the phone to GSF to ask about different sizes of MC they stock for the 205, and promtly realised they'd closed alreadly lol. Once my bolts arrive (thanks 15Valver!) and i source some hoses i'll be fitting my 1.9 front calipers, so i'll be following this thread with much interest.

Jer309GTi
Your probably best off with the 1.9 MC over the 1.6 in that case, saves on the amount of messin with the copper lines. After my last post i got on the phone to GSF to ask about different sizes of MC they stock for the 205, and promtly realised they'd closed alreadly lol. Once my bolts arrive (thanks 15Valver!) and i source some hoses i'll be fitting my 1.9 front calipers, so i'll be following this thread with much interest.

You say you have to source some hoses, is that because yours are perished or something? The calipers are a straight fit, you don't need different hoses :blink:

Guest smokinslim

Figured i could probably get away with it, but my hoses are a couple of years old now so it'd be one less thing to do in six months or so. Plus if i get braided ones they'll perform and look better. I haven't decided entirely on what to do about my MC yet. My beam is in need of attention once again so really the MC depends on whether i change it and if i do what brakes i get with it.

Edited by smokinslim

pug_ham

My STDT has 1.6 GTi front calipers fitted as standard but still has a 19mm base model mc & there is hardly any difference is pedal travel that I notice between that & my GTi with the same calipers.

I've got a GTi mc to fit but as the current one works fine I'm in no rush to fit it.

Graham.

Jrod

Got 1.6 calipers on my Xs and never noticed a difference either.

I thought only 1.6 calipers fitted? :)

Sign in to follow this