• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Jonmurgie

Painted The Engine Bay

Jonmurgie

Spent this weekend stripping, cleaning, preping and painting the engine bay on my track car and I'm glad I bothered as it looks so much nicer now and will really do the engine justice once it's sitting in there! Here are some pics:

Engine Bay

engine_before.jpg

engine_during.jpg

engine_after.jpg

Inner Wings

wing_before.jpg

wing_after.jpg

wing1_before.jpg

wing1_after.jpg

And there are a load more pics and info on my site: http://www.mdracing.co.uk/rebuild.asp

I just used Halfords Peugeot Graphite Grey and it looks spot on really, got to get some more of it as I only got one tin (stupid me) and want to do a couple more coats as some areas were a bit bare, and then lacquer it as well for a longer lasting finish ;)

Sam

That looks good! Wish I could be arsed to do mine, kind of given up cosmetically.

Jonmurgie

LOL, well the outside of my car remains a dog, dented and falking paint etc... just that I wanted to life the bonnet and people be surprised by how nice it is under there ;)

Alastairh

Nice one.

Sure is going to be a nice engine bay.

vern

Jon out of interest how long did it take to strip engine bay to the state ready for painting?.

Vern

smckeown

that's come up smart. Once it dries etc, get some wax on to help keep it clean like i did recently

Your inner wings are in relatively good shape too..best bit of bodywork on the car :D

ashley peddle

looks wicked! will deffo be on my list of things to do when i finally get a new engine :D

Jonmurgie

LOL @ Sean :) What kind of wax did you use matey?

I stipped the engine over a far few weeks but I would say that if you set about it properly (already having taken the engine out) then I say an hour to get all the 'bits' out of the way and remove all the bungs, clips and then 2/3 hours to prepare the bodywork, de-grease (cause it WILL be greasy!) and then key the surface... as with anything paint wise it's all in the prep so no point skimping it too much. At least being in the engine bay you can get away with a 'slightly' dodgy bit of painting as most of it's covered with stuff :D

pugpete1108

just done my bay in silver ( car is black) , not too bothered cosmetically but the paint i used has a catalyst to add to it and is full of metal granules , so is really hard wearing , basically should last the test of time.

had to be applied with a roller tho and has got a bit of a matt textured finish , but as i mentioned its not about the looks ,its practicalty

thinking about painting the whole car in it as it dries rock solid!! lol :D

Jonmurgie

sounds interesting... black car and silver engine bay! Got any pics?

smckeown

wouldnt a white bay (irrelevant of car colour) help with early diagnosis of leaks ? I'm sure I have seen race and rally cars employing this tactic

I used my normal car wax (meguiars NXT) on the bay; I was recommended to use it to enable the bay to be cleaned much easier in the future

Edited by smckeown

pugpete1108
sounds interesting... black car and silver engine bay! Got any pics?

interesting? a little odd i would say , but it was the only colour i could get . no pics yet but i will sort some out tommorow , it still needs a little touching up in places possibly another coat.

but like i said looks were not really that important ( not in the bay anyway)

Paintguy

Very nice :D

Certainly worth the effort, as you say.

Andy_C

Looks excellent John - nowt better than a mint bay if your exterior's not so hot :P

Planning similar when my car goes down to X Sport later this week - it's kinda the opposite to yours at present....

As for waxing, I'd recommend a heavy duty synthetic sealant - Carlack 68's very good and available from www.carsparkle.co.uk or www.svsp.co.uk (fairly close to you from memory)

mak

looking good jon, it doe smake a difference when the engines in!

pdd144c

Definately worth doing, my red car is going to have a grey engine bay and interior soon once the cage is complete.

Jonmurgie

Why grey?

pdd144c

No real reason apart form the fact it will keep to the color scheme the car currently has. Will look like this I guess:

cage.jpg

Edited by pdd144c

Jonmurgie

Not too bad actually... quite like that :P

pdd144c

Ta. Just need a rocker cover like yours to finish the look off I guess!

pugpete1108

as requested one black car with on silver engine bay:

bay1.jpg

bay2.jpg

don't look too bad does it???

Sign in to follow this