• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
brianthemagical

Ignition Timing

brianthemagical

Any idea what the power output would be for for an xu9ja with the ignition timing retarded 5 degrees (i think) to allow it to run on 95 ron fuel. My distributer has two marks on it, about 1 cm apart. it is currently set to the one furthest anti-clockwise ( the front of the car). I'm hoping this is one of the reasons why my car only develops 110 bhp.

Thanks.

jackherer

110bhp sounds about right, they are flat as a pancake when retarded for 95 ron.

a friend of mine that wasn't used to fast cars bought a 205 1.9 a few years ago and I immediately noticed it was retarded for 95 ron but I kept quiet for a couple of months then when he'd got used to it I advanced it a bit to give him a free power upgrade and it was pretty significant ;)

brianthemagical

so would turning the dizzy anti-clockwise advance the timing? does about 1cm sound about right.

thanks.

jackherer

1cm sounds about right but I can never remember which way is which ;)

the best thing to do is adjust it, try driving it, adjust it some more and keep doing that until it just starts to pink under load (such as going up a hill) at low speed in fifth gear and then retard it slightly from that point.

the idle will be affected by the ignition timing so you'll need to adjust it using the screw on the throttle body.

brianthemagical

cheers, i'll give iut a go latter as my sumps of at the mo. it's great havin mondays off. thanks for the help.

steve@cornwall
1cm sounds about right but I can never remember which way is which ;)

the best thing to do is adjust it, try driving it, adjust it some more and keep doing that until it just starts to pink under load (such as going up a hill) at low speed in fifth gear and then retard it slightly from that point.

the idle will be affected by the ignition timing so you'll need to adjust it using the screw on the throttle body.

Had my timing checked with strobe at weekend after setting it with this method .5 of a degree out only!.

Guy recommended this method over strobe as it is dependent on wear , component play etc.

Also adjusted mixture (h/carbon up to 3.35% ) which does give a smoother power delivery than the previous, more mot friendly reading!

Rob_the_Sparky

Looking at the dizzy rotate clockwise to advance, anti to retard.

Rob

brianthemagical

thats bad news for the markings on my dizzy, the unused mark would mean it rotating-anti clockwise. i'll try it any way, whats the worst that could happen.

Rob_the_Sparky

Just as a guide a 1.9 running on Optimax normally has its dizzy advanced quite close to the end stops of how much it can be advanced.

jackherer
Guy recommended this method over strobe as it is dependent on wear , component play etc.

yes and another factor to consider for the 205 is that the book figure is intended for 1980's spec 4 star leaded fuel rather than 2006 super unleaded of whatever flavour (super 97, optimax 98 or tesco 99).

steve@cornwall

I bought mine three years ago with comprehensive history, including several invoices for "investigate low power" from different garages. The dizzy seemed closer to the stops than usual with revs rising and engine note sounding cleaner as dizzy was turned up to the stops so in a strange moment I slipped the cam belt one tooth and what a difference! and the dizzy returned to more normal position with about 8mm of "slot" showing. anyone else come across anything like this?

brianthemagical

thanks for all the advise, sparky, you are right about the rotation direction. i don't know what knocking sounds like and i belive it can be bad for an engine so i'm dubios. the mark is curently about half way between the stops. when i had the cambelt changed the old onewasn't set right so it had to be RRed, hence knowing 110bhp, if he didn't set the ignition timing as well it is a possibility that it's out.

is it safe to turn the dizzy with the engine running? thanks again.

Edited by brianthemagical

Richie-Van-GTi

I normally turn my dizzy with engine running when Im setting up, I usually play about with it on the emissions tester and aim it for around 3% with a nice smooth idle.

Rob_the_Sparky

Reasonably safe, wearing gloves would be a resonable precaution though. You don't want a belt off the HT leads unless you have to!

You will know pinking when you hear it. It will occur under load and usually at low revs. Sounds much like a pair of teaspoons being knocked together. Multiple sharp, short metallic pings.

Rob

brianthemagical

cheers, i do run on superunleaded. it is advanced quite far with no bad noises i think. HT shocks arn't that nice, thats one reason i havn't tried it.

Ahl
Reasonably safe, wearing gloves would be a resonable precaution though. You don't want a belt off the HT leads unless you have to!

You will know pinking when you hear it. It will occur under load and usually at low revs. Sounds much like a pair of teaspoons being knocked together. Multiple sharp, short metallic pings.

Rob

Like Rob says. Take your car for a run between advancing the settings. Stick it in 5th and give it full throttle from 20 or 30mph. If you hear it pinking then retard it slightly.

Its worthwhile taking the socket/spanner out with you and finding somewhere with a few laybys or similar. Makes it a lot quicker. :huh:

If you still can't work out what pinking sounds like, advance it fully and you should hear it. Just don't go about pinking for very long as it can very quickly put holes in your pistons!

Sign in to follow this