• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
aldo56

1.6 - 1.9 Conversion?

Guest BrainFluid
Engine conversions are usually insured based on the group of the donor vehicle

Wow. If thats true, thats real good advice. Does the insurer usually ask what the donor motor it came out of? Or is that what you tell the DVLA and then the Insurencer goes on that?

aldo56

hmmm im guessing that isnt true then because no one has replied???

danpug

Yes they base it off the donor vehicle. Obviously every co. is different though.

Pug_101
I have multiple a couple of 1.6's and one 1.9 GTI I would stick with the 1.6 myself, sounds crazy I know my personal opinion that the 1.6 feel's faster and has the better handling by far = better fun. That's me don't know if anyone agrees? My tip the best upgrade for a 1.6 is rear disk conversion I spent hundreds trying to balance the drum's with no effect.

Why does a 1.6L handle better?

Edp

My insurance for my white 1.9 went DOWN when i put an Mi in it :)

Loop holes are great!!

DaveW

i would say the 1.6 feels faster etc its mainly down to the engine as its so revvy, unlike the lazy reving 1.9.

Cameron

Whatwhatwhat??? why does everyone think 1.6's feel faster? Ive driven 2 1.6gtis and 2 1.9s and i can say without a doubt that the 1.9 is feels SO much faster! converting from a 1.6 to a 1.9 was the best thing ever.. the 1.9 just has so much more torque and makes for effortless overtaking. as for 'lazy' power delivery tbh ive never noticed this.. stick a 1.6 box on and it feels fantastic.

Oh, and a 1.9 engine conversion is really quite easy.. you only need to swap the ecu and airflow meter for 1.9 ones and youre set. Mine took 2 days including removing old engine and bastard rusted bolts and replacing with the 1.9.. and that was my first engine conversion.

Edited by Cameron

Baz

Agree with that, (Dave) but i think it could be just deceiving, as my 309 feels quick, with torque low down too, and it's engine is old, but without the high revs due to the longer box. I'd like to drive a 1.9 on a 1.6 box.

Edited by BazGTMi

boldy205

it is true the 1.6 is naturally a revvy engine due to the fact its an over square engine but i do love the torque of my 1.9! in line with aldo56 coment, do you need an enginers report? do you for either a 1.6-1.9 or a 1.9 to a mi16?

Edited by boldy205

DaveW

im just saying some like the 1.6's nature like me as i like revvy engines, thats why i would go mi16.

Baz

In fact i think alot of the time there's not alot in it anyway, unless you have an extremely healthy 1.9, I don't think they're that much quicker. Power doesn't mean alot obut when it comes down to it, not alot of 1.9s make their quoted 130bhp, in fact even 120, whereas alot of 1.6s seem to make close to what they're supposed, or so i've heard.

I've had alot of 1.6s, and a few 1.9s, but they all have varied, but still not one has been as quick as one 1.6 in particular.

Cameron

Yeah its true about 1.9s being down on power, but they still have the torque down low to make up for it. And after driving a 146K 1.9 and then a rebuilt one.. and 2 average mileage 1.6s ill still say the 1.9 feels quicker. When i first got my 1.6 i was dead set on keeping it as a 1.6 as i thought id prefer the 'revvy' engine but it had leaking liner seals so i just put the 1.9 in. and after driving that a 1.6 just feels so slow.

steve@cornwall

The 1.9 engine I used for my 1.6 conversion has done less than 10k since rebuild and less than 54k overall. It is definately faster than any 1.6 I've owned- just doesn't particularly feel like it! My 1.6 cti still feels "quicker"despite the lower power and extra weight. I would describe the ctis as driving like 1.6 gtis with two fat dudes in the back. What you like will depend on your driving style and the location you drive it in- try and test cars with different combinations to see which you prefer.

Pugnut

wider front track,narrower rear track, lighter 14 alloys,Smaller wheelbearings and hub with alloy front calipers(less unsprung weight) .

GLPoomobile

It's difficult to compare them as they are all old ladies in car years and will have had different servicing etc, so a whole group of 1.6's and 1.9's will feel different.

My first 1.6 many years ago was one well slow dog. High mileage, poor servicing, and definately needed a tune up. Got a 1.9 last year and instantly noticed how much more grunt there was low down. Made for effortless acceleration, but I soon got annoyed with the lack of revs. When I picked up my 1.6 in Jan I initially thought it felt as quick as the 1.9, but jumping straight back in the 1.9 I quickly realised that it wasn't.

Now I don't know what I prefer. The 1.9 is definately more grunty and pulls harder, but I prefer the revier nature of the 1.6. Mi16 would be the obvious choice if I could afford it.

huckleberry

If you want more power but are concerned about your MPG then stop thinking about it all together. Unless the engine is a new, more advanced one more power usually means less MPG.

I used my 205 1.9 gti for everyday work and now only for fun. I like having a lot of mid range torque and my 1.9 box. Constantly revving drives me crazy. It's fun for a while but when driving on the freeway with a 1.6 box it just drove me mad.

I've never driven with a 1.6, only with a 1.9 with 1.6 and 1.9 box. I prefer my 1.9 box any day. Although if you use it on the track a lot I can see why people would want a 1.6 box.

Cameron
wider front track,narrower rear track, lighter 14 alloys,Smaller wheelbearings and hub with alloy front calipers(less unsprung weight) .

You what? wider front track? :D

t16ryan

QUOTE WHY DOES A 1.6L HANDLE BETTER?? QUOTE

It doesnt never rated the 1600s and had loads of them had alot of 1900s and all the 1900s have felt quicker and handled alot better than any 1600,

jackherer
You what? wider front track? :D

its due to the hubs.

Baz

1.6s have wider front track than 1.9s, but 1.9s have wider rear track than 1.6s. (unsurprisingly)

Oh, and listen to T16ryan, he knows best as he has a T16 :D

The argument over speed and handling could go on infinitely. Every version of each will differ as said, they are all old now and will differ depending on endless factors.

Edited by BazGTMi

Cameron

Really?? that doesnt sound quite right to me.. and surely the narrower rear end would make for a looser rear end, and a worse handling car? And afaik drum brakes are heavier than discs which would mean more unsprung wieght to the rear and less grip.

I wouldnt say there was anything noticeable in it. the only reason i can think of why a 1.9 could handle any worse than a 1.6 is the extra torque through the front wheels means that it is harder to keep grip through a corner, and more control is required. but as long as you dont have a lead right foot it shouldnt be a problem.

Baz

Check the back section of your owners manual for the Dimensions. :D

Pug_101

So from the replies I would say the 1.6L feels better more alert when it comes to handling rather than actually proven to be faster round a track. Has anyone ever proven this on the same car?

brianthemagical

surley the topic is drifting a bit? the question was about the engine, not the car. Personally i would have thought the top of the range (ie 1.9) would be the faster car in most respects and by a visible margin otherwise what was the point of introducing it, may be drivability i suppose. there may be differences in the chassis as well which could bias ones perception of speed but these wouldn't have a bearing on the final conversion. i my oppinion you should go for an engine convertion. i own a 1.9 gti but (most off the time) drive slowly. the reason i got the 1.9 was so that when people asked what car i own i could, with a grin on my face say "a 1.9 GTi". rambling over.

Baz
the reason i got the 1.9 was so that when people asked what car i own i could, with a grin on my face say "a 1.9 GTi". rambling over.

:D You need to get out more! :D

I see wht you're sayng about the topic wandering though!

Sign in to follow this